Chapter 42 || Year 6

Draco's POV-

Two days. Two days until it was happening. Two days until his death.

I could feel my mark burning, but so were the back of my eyes, caused by the tears that I refused to let out. The cabinet that I had spent almost my entire sixth year on was finally fixed, but I didn't tell dare tell anyone or otherwise the task would be pushed to tonight, and I couldn't dare do anything with my head the way it was.

"Draco!" I heard a voice call, so I turned around.

There standing a few metres behind me was the girl I loved, no longer with buck teeth or a birds nest for hair, no longer skin and bone but her old self, except for the slight personality change that no one but me had noticed.

I turned straight back around as soon as I connected eyes with her, not wanting any of my emotions to leak out. Hermione continued to call my name, but I kept of ignoring her, until I felt myself freeze on the spot.

I tried to turn around but found I was unable to; then it hit me. She had temporarily paralysed me.

Once she had caught up with me, she removed the spell, but made sure I wasn't able to get out of an arms length of her. I guess she really does live up to her title some days.

"Draco, why are you so scared of me?" Hermione asked softly.

"Scared Granger? I don't think so." I lied, but the truth was, I was truly terrified of hurting her; of loosing her.

"Draco, you don't have to act strong around me. I know." She whispered, placing her warm, soft hand on my cheek.

I couldn't control the next wave of anger and sadness, mixed with other emotions, that came over me. Tears began to roll down my cheeks as my breathing turned into strong sobs, my whole body shaking.

Hermione wrapped her arms around me and held me in her warm embrace, saying or doing nothing, which is exactly what I needed; someone who wouldn't judge a Malfoy for crying.

After a few long minutes passed, my sobs weren't slowing down, if anything, they were sounding louder.

Hermione pulled back, and I thought she was going to leave me crying, when she placed her hands on the sleeve of my shirt, pulling up the left one.

I clamped my eyes shut in embarrassment, ashamed of the mark that defined me, but Hermione did exactly the opposite of what I suspected her to do. Instead of hurting me or just walking away, she began to trace the outline of it ever so slightly, a wave of sparks coursing through my body.

"Hermione, stop. You're too pure." I sighed, pulling down my sleeve, completely oblivious that I still had tears running down my pale cheeks.

"And your just a boy. A boy who did nothing to deserve a fate like you have. A boy who doesn't realise that a stupid mark that he has doesn't define him as a person, and what really matters is who they are on the inside." She smiled but her eyes were becoming glassy.

"I'm not good, I'll ruin you. I could hurt you." I sobbed.

"But I believe you won't, and that's all that matters." Hermione mumbled as tears of her own we're starting to fall.

"I can't stand to loose you again. You mean too much to me for you to just disappear out of my life in the hands of someone like me," I cried out.

"Listen to me. I trust you. I don't care what you are or who you are. I fell in love with you, Draco Malfoy, despite all the blood prejudice and the war between both our sides raging on outside the castle," She shouted determinedly, tears now falling down her cheeks.