Chapter 46

You probably already know the drill by now, but for those of you who don't the song I am including has nothing to do with this chapter it's just a song that I am in love with right now so listen to it in your own time if ye want

Song- Slacks by St.South

Raoul grabbed my hand and dragged me along behind him towards the Colosseum which was on the horizon. We weaved in and out of the huge crowds of people who gathered on the street leading to the Colosseum. Some were part of tours and were listening to some new information while others were just taking photos.

The Colosseum loomed above us all. It really was a magnificent building and it didn't matter how many times I saw it, it was still magnificent. I snapped a picture of Raoul and Iver in front of it before we headed inside. Luckily Iver had booked our tickets in advance so we were able to skip the queue.

Raoul eyes widened in complete awe as we stepped inside. His eyes scanned over the towering walls, the stands and the arena where gladiators once fought. The area underneath the arena where the gladiators and animals waited before battles were fortunately now open to the public.

We wandered in between all the ruins. Ancient Roman graffiti was scribbled across the ruins. Things like names and dates were etched into the stone. One could also see the markings on the floor where cages full of wild and dangerous animals once resided. It really was fascinating.

The Colosseum was also one of my favourite places to visit as it gave amazing views of the Arco di Constantino. I much preferred the arches of ancient Rome to the ones in Paris. It was just so strange to imagine being so powerful that a monument was erected in your name. It was quite narcissistic when you think about it. I snorted to myself as I thought about how Iver probably would have had about 5 dedicated to him if he lived back then because his ego is so big.

After a half an hour of ambling around the Colosseum we decided to leave. We were just outside when Raoul spotted one of the many men dressed up as a Gladiator. He turned to Iver and me with his eyes full of joy and his mouth hanging open.

"Can I get a picture with the Gladiator? Please Maman et Papa." He begged while he pulled at my arm.

"Of course mon petit chou" I said as I ruffled his curly hair and then brought him over to the Gladiator. Iver payed the man and then I took the picture. The man grabbed Raoul into a headlock for the picture and Raoul giggled and smiled at the camera.

"Grazie Signore!" Raoul smiled. "Prego" the man replied while waving his hand as if to say that it was nothing.

"Maman he looked just like that guy in the movie where his family dies and he becomes a gladiator and he fights that big tiger!" Raoul exclaimed as he looked at the photo on my camera.

"The guy's name is Russell Crowe" Iver said nonchalantly. I gasped and slapped Iver on the arm.

"Oh my God! You let him watch Gladiator!" I shouted as I looked at him in complete shock. "He is five years old Iver! For god's sake, a man gets beheaded in that. It's so violent. What were you thinking?"

Iver reached up and scratched the back of his head with a sheepish look on his face, "Ya I realised that half way through and by then it was a bit too late"

I just shook my head at his pure stupidity. When we get back to Paris I was going to have to draw up a list of approved films for Raoul to watch that Iver could consult.

After the Colosseum we headed back up Via Del Corso and towards our apartment. We decided to make a pit-stop at the Trevi Fountain. I was brought back to the first time Iver and I ever came here. It honestly seemed like a life time ago. I had been so immature back then and he had been an asshole...maybe not on that day but he had been every day before that. I realised now how much we had changed since then. Having Raoul had really changed my life for the better.