Chapter 34

Alexia stood with one hip jutting out and a lazy smirk on her face as she gazed about the room. Iver’s hand had clenched and tightened on my arm as he glared at her. If looks could kill she would be six feet under right now.

A waiter passed by and Alexia slipped a glass off the plate and sipped the bubbly champagne. She acted as if she was oblivious to everyone staring at her after her grand entrance. Her lustrous eyes scanned the room over the rim of the glass. She was searching for someone. She glanced over towards us and Iver’s muscles bunched together in tension. I could see that they were straining under his suit. He let out angry puffs of air like a bull as he watched her every move.

“Iver, darling, there you are! She called loudly as she sauntered over towards us. Iver pulled me behind him slowly as if he was trying to protect me. Her brown leather skirt clung tightly to her curves. She smiled flirtatiously as she approached Iver; she didn’t even register me huddling behind his strong muscular back. She placed a hand on his chest and leaned in to give him a lingering kiss on his cheek. He shook off her hand as if repulsed by her touch. “Get out” he said in a levelled tone. “But Iver you promised to visit me next time you were in Italy” she replied without her smile faltering at his harsh words. “I never said anything of the sort!” he growled, his eyes flashing with anger.

His hand had tightened so much so that my arm was beginning to turn numb. I tried to remove my arm from his viper like grip but he pulled me closer against him. At this stage I was resting against his hip instead of behind him. His arm slipped around my waist. An angry frown marred his face as he glared at Alexia. Who ever this girl was she had clearly pissed him off in the past. Her eyes flickered to mine and something akin to jealously flashed in her eyes. Her upper lip curled up in disgust as she focused on my pregnant belly. ‘Ya bitch suck on that, I’m having his baby not you!’ I shouted in my head and smirked triumphantly at her. Even if Iver didn’t know it was his baby it was very satisfying to see the look of disdain that crossed her pretty features.

“Alexia leave now before things get ugly” he growled, his perceptive eyes not missing the look she gave me. He pulled me tighter against his body, his fingers digging into my side. I grimaced, I would have bruises tomorrow. “I don’t hit women but I can’t guarantee anything if you stay here any longer” he hissed. “But Iver darling, I’ve missed you” she sighed and batted her clumpy eyelashes that were caked in mascara.

“How dare you! How fucking dare you come near me after everything you caused over a petty rivalry” he exploded. His calm exterior shattered into a million pieces. His icy blue eyes narrowed into slits as he scowled at her. “I did it for love” she whispered and gazed up at him adoringly and she laid her perfectly manicured hand on his strong pectorals. “Get your claws off my chest and get the fuck out of here. I have told you I never want to see you again” he remarked scathingly as he grabbed her hand and ripped it off his chest.

“You’ll pay for embarrassing me!” she growled, her fake exterior crumbling around her. “Haven’t you done enough Alexia” he growled as he clenched his hand into a fist. “You and your little puttana will pay!” That bitch just called me a whore! I tried to lunge at her and give her a slap but Iver tightened his hold on me. She screamed and stormed out the door while stomping her skyscraper heels. I was praying that she would fall and break her ugly ass nose. “Vaffanculo!” Iver shouted as she slammed the door to the hall behind her.

Everyone’s eyes flashed to Iver and me as we stood in the centre of the hall. The music had stopped and everyone had come to a standstill. They were all pondering the same questions I was. Who the hell was Alexia and what had she done to Iver?

I glanced up at Iver and could see that he was clearly not comfortable with everyone staring at him. He tried to cover it up and to anyone else he would have looked perfectly fine but I knew he wasn’t. He jaw was clenching and unclenching. His hand was digging into my side. “Iver” I whispered touching his arm. His eyes met mine. I could see the anger but also hurt swirling around in his eyes. “Do you want to get out of here?” I asked. He nodded and led me out of the room.