Chapter 6

I opened the door to my apartment and walked inside. The door shut behind me and I dropped my bags on the floor at my feet. I sighed, I was finally home. I felt horrible leaving Ethan in London but there was nothing more that I could do. I offered plenty of times for him to come and stay with me in Paris and he could go to acting school. But he refused; even though dad was being an ass Ethan held some glimmer of hope that dad would change and except him for who he really was. I didn’t want to crush his dreams when he was already in a vulnerable state.

I strolled into my room and started to hang up my new clothes in my wardrobe. I smiled, remembering Ethan’s enthusiasm and how happy he was before dinner. I wish he could be like that around dad. I knew Ethan would get over the whole situation he was strong; well he had to be to survive in the Connors household. I just wish I knew how to help. My arms dropped to my sides; suddenly I didn’t feel like doing anything. I just wanted to relax after my stressful weekend.

I wandered into my kitchen with the intention of grabbing something to eat and then settling in front of the TV. I thought about calling Callie and inviting her over but I didn’t want to subject her to my ranting. A bright red light flashed in the corner of my eye. It was blinking continuously. I darted over to the phone and played back the voicemails. I had 24 missed calls from Hamilton. The colour left my face and I stood there in shock. Maybe he did actually fire me, what would I do, where would I go? I started to feel a little light-headed but I quickly shook my head and reasoned with myself. There was no way that he would call me and tell me that I was fired. He would want me to suffer the embarrassment of coming into work unknowingly fired. Anyway he wouldn’t leave me 24 messages about it. With my numb fingers I dialled his number. I knew it off by heart.

It rang a couple of times before he picked up. “Hamilton” he growled. Not a whisper of hello or how are you, the only greeting I got was his gruff voice with a hint of a Scottish accent. I can’t understand how he grew up in Italy but had a Scottish accent over an Italian. I knew his father was Scottish so maybe that had something to do with it, but still. I would have to ask Elise, she would know.

“Sir, this is Talia, you left a message for me” well that was an understatement. Who leaves 24, if I didn’t reply after the tenth one then why bother continuing. This better be important.

“We have a situation, you must come over right now” He ordered, with a hint of panic in his voice. What could be so bad to have, The Iver Hamilton all worked up. “Okay I’ll be at the office in 20” I replied, hoping to ease his nerves. “Not the office my apartment you bloody idiot, and I want you to be here in under 10 minutes” he said and slammed the phone down. The noise of him slamming the phone made me cringe. I peeled the phone away from my ear and hung it up. I dashed around my apartment grabbing clothes to wear and ended up just wearing a nice jumper and leggings. I hoped that this wasn’t a professional meeting. I ran outside the door and shoved the neighbour’s cat out of the way with my foot. It was not going to scare me today. I made it to the Metro in under a minute, and that’s when it hit me, I had no idea where he lived.

After five minutes of calling other employees in the office I finally got his address. He lived in the posh part of Paris and it would take me two minutes on the Metro to get there. That left me with a minute to actually find his apartment. I could do this. I hoped on the next Metro, nearly taking out the old woman who was getting off. She cursed at me in French and then waddled away. For the whole ride I tapped my foot on the floor and the man sitting across from me was getting frustrated. Before he could complain I jumped off the Metro at the desired platform and legged it to Hamilton’s house.

I slammed against the door of his apartment and rang the bell. My hair was plastered to my face due to sweat and my feet were sore but I made it. The door swung open and I fell to the floor. My limbs were sprawled out around me and I groaned in pain. I slowly looked up and scanned his apartment. It was a typical bachelor pad with black leather furniture, white walls and a spotless kitchen that was probably never used. There was some beautiful artwork that donned the walls and I couldn’t help but admire them. The broad hall led to a large sitting room with a massive wrap around leather couch. A gigantic flat screen TV adorned the wall. The large glass panelling reminded me of his office. It gave a beautiful view of Paris in its entirety.