Chapter 24

I had a lovely blissful week in the office, well not exactly blissful considering I was hiding from Hamilton...constantly. I’m surprised I wasn’t fired because he probably doesn’t even realise that I’m in the office. I’ve gotten so much practise that I could become the world champion at Hide and Seek. I don’t really know why I’m hiding. I’m with Cassio now my fiancé, and nothing will ever happen between Hamilton and I again. Well hopefully but knowing my restraint...

Anyway it was for lack of a better word a quaint week, until I stupidly put my foot in it. I had been careful all week leaving my engagement ring at home or placing it in the drawer in my desk. But of course Elise discovered the truth when she walked in on me admiring it as it glinted in the sunlight.

Of course I then had to tell her when she plonked herself down in the armchair across from my desk. I told her the story, leaving out the fact that I may have possibly slept with our boss once, or twice, okay three times. She promised not to tell anyone.

So then imagine my surprise when I enter the break room and everyone jumps out shouting surprise. By everyone I mean absolutely everyone, even the mailman was there. I, of course screamed my head off from the fright. I’m shocked that the police weren’t called.

I spotted Elise over in the corner grinning at something one of the other girls said. “What the hell Elise I thought you said that you would keep this a secret!” I accused while marching towards her. She placed her glass of champagne on the counter, for a minute my train of thought disappeared. Where did they get the champagne last minute. I shook away the thought and glared at Elise once again.

“I’m sorry ma Cherie, I just couldn’t help myself” she exclaimed. I rolled my eyes, typical Elise; I don’t know why I told her. “Look live a little; I don’t know what you are so worried about. You should be enjoying your single days before you get married” She grinned while wrapping her arm around my neck and hugging me. It seemed to me like she had a few too many sips of that Champagne.

“Talia!” I heard a high pitched screech come from behind me. I quickly turned around to see Isabelle making her way towards me. “I haven’t seen you in forever” she smiled and pulled me into a hug. “And you never told me that you were engaged, jeez I thought we were supposed to be friends” She said with feint hurt in her voice.

“Well that was the way I was going to keep it until Ms. Loud Mouth over there decided to blurt the news to everyone. If I wanted everyone to know I would have walked in with a massive sign stuck to me” I said sending a pointed glare at Elise. She shrugged her shoulders and gave me an innocent smile. Isabelle laughed and congratulated me and made me promise to make her a bridesmaid.

“Ooh good idea, I’d love to be a bridesm-” said Elise with a wishful look on her face but I interrupted her. “Don’t even think about it” I said grinning. I had already forgiven her; it wasn’t too bad that everyone knew. I don’t know what I was so worried for.

I wondered into the middle of the room and noticed that there was a massive cake on the table. ‘Felicitations’ was written in huge letters. It was a beautiful cake covered in a light chocolate frosting. Honestly I don’t know how they got their hands on this so fast. It wasn’t like someone just ran down to the store, this cake was clearly handmade in a bakery and that champagne sure was expensive.

I grabbed a glass and sat with Elise, Isabelle and the other girls. Julie was out on maternity leave and I was starting to miss her unfiltered chattering. Every now and again we were interrupted by people coming up and congratulating me on my engagement.

Even Cyril came up and made some comment about how he wouldn’t be able to flirt with me anymore now that I was taken. And the worst part of all he said that he was open to threesomes and winked at me, then wondered off. I think I threw up on the inside after that.