Chapter 20

It was unbearably warm when I woke up the next morning. My arms were constricted as who I assumed to be Hamilton had wrapped his arms around me during the night. My body was slightly clammy as Hamilton radiated heat beside me. My hair was covering my face and I tried to blow it out of the way and after four attempts I finally succeeded. I glanced at the clock on the nightstand, we had two hours until the board meeting and I really needed to go for a shower.

I slowly began to shuffle away from Hamilton who was spooning me from behind. I moved about an inch before Hamilton’s arms tightened around me and he groaned. Who knew that his was such a cuddler, actually he was probably unconsciously trying to kill me. He pulled me towards him until my head rested on his chest. His strong muscular chest. I tried to resist but he was too strong. My head tucked in under his chin and he rested his hand on the curve of my ass. Even though he annoyed and aggravated me to no end I found myself snuggling into his arms. I was so ashamed; I even sighed a little.

The relaxed tranquil atmosphere in the room was ruined by the piercing screech of his alarm. I felt him stir underneath me and I pretended to be asleep to save myself from the embarrassment of him finding me awake and willingly in this position. The hand that was caressing my side reached across and switched off the alarm.

He then collapsed on the bed and rested his forearm over his eyes. He sighed loudly and I think it was then that he noticed me and the position that we were in. He pulled his arm away from his face and I could feel his gaze bearing into the top of my head. It was quite unnerving. I tried to even my quickening breath. I could feel him gravitating closer to me, his hot breath brushed against my forehead. His lips rested an inch from my skin. He suddenly pulled back and I could feel him shake his head.

He then ripped the sheets off and headed into the bathroom for a shower. There goes my chance to hygienic then. Once I could hear the shower running, I pretended to wake up. I yawned for the added effect just in case he was listening.

Hamilton and I walked out from the boardroom after only an hour inside. I felt like we were in a movie as sauntered from the building. People were moving out ourway and staring at us as we passed. I felt like an explosion was going to go off behind us and make us look like bad asses. But of course that never happens in reality, I wish it did though but then I wouldn’t want everyone in the building to die.

Literally one menacing look from Hamilton had every man cowering on their hands and knees at Hamilton’s feet. Most of my hard work was futile as I didn’t even have to present any reports on slide-shows. I now understood why Hamilton was so successful; there was no waffling on his part. He was clear, concise and straight to the point. He had the board members eating out of the palm of his hand in under five minutes max. Every once in a while he would raise an eyebrow at something one of the board members had boasted or bullshitted about. He would glance over at me and the two of us would try not to laugh. He must have a spilt personality because this morning in the car on the way here he wouldn’t even say more than two words to me.

We left the building and folded into the car waiting for us. We drove down the main street in Rome ‘Via del Corso’. It was packed with people and expensive shops lined the streets. We passed the turnoff to our glitzy five star hotel and continued on down the street joining the traffic. I glanced over at Hamilton; he didn’t have a hint of surprise on his face. I decided to roll with the fact that the chauffeur could be taking us to our death for all we know the driver could be a phsyco. I leaned back and relaxed in the seat.

We pulled over by Il Vittoriano which was a massive white building. Supposedly it gave a really nice view over Rome and I hoped to venture there before we returned to Paris. Hamilton grabbed my arm gently and pulled me along in the direction of another street lined with statues. I must have looked like such a tourist as I stood there gazing at the building, mouth agape.