Chapter 3

Loud footsteps and people chatting in the room next to me woke me up. I groaned and slowly peeled my face off my desk. I looked around trying to gather my bearings. Where am I? The room was small with a glass door as the entrance; behind me was floor to ceiling glass panelling giving a beautiful view over the rubbish bins in the alley bellow. Pictures of family, friends and inspirational quotes donned the walls. The walls were a light cream colour which matched the carpet. I was sat at a desk...my desk. Then I realised I was still in work!

The report that was due for Iver lay in a neat pile beside me. I stayed up all night trying to finish it. I must have gotten about four hours sleep. I yawned and stretched. The things I do for my pride. Even if it would rid me of Iver Hamilton for the rest of my life I would never stoop so low as to return to my father asking for help. He wouldn’t give it anyway; he believes that after college one is capable of supporting themselves, just like he did. Whoop di do, what does he want a medal and a pat on the back. Not all of his children are cut out to be as successful as him and as perfect, well in his eyes. For example, Ethan has recently come out of the closet to me; I don’t mean that he came back from Narnia. I mean that he is gay and poor old dadikins is a complete and utter homophobe. He can’t even stand the sight of them, he says that love and marriage is for men and women. What a hypocrite considering he is the devil. If Dad continues to act the way he does then he will end up minus two children. Of course the perfect child Alice will stay put. With her perfect husband and two kids mom and dad just adore her. Ugh I feel sick thinking about her.

I got up from my desk and walked around it tripping over a pizza box. I don’t remember ordering that. I rub my chin; well that’s what exhaustion does to you. Thank god it’s Wednesday, only two more days and then sleep. Whoo!

I slowly trudged to the break room and started the Nespresso coffee machine. I heard footsteps and Isabelle walked in.

“Omg what happened to you! Those bags under your eyes.” She gasped.  “Aww thanks for making me feel better” I say sarcastically. “Wait I have just the thing” she exclaims and rummages in her bag, searching through the bottomless pit. That bag is dangerous with the amount of stuff in it. I should know she once asked me to find her lipstick I nearly lost my hand. Who keeps a scalpel in there bag. It’s for emergencies she said, what, is she going to have to do, perform a heart transplant at one of her book club meetings. Jeez she is just too prepared.

“Ahha” she shouts holding up what seemed to be concealer in her hand, like it was some sort of trophy or something. The coffee machine beeped and I grabbed my coffee. I took a sip of the aromatic drink. The warm liquid slid down my throat and I exhaled. Hmm heaven.

Isabelle walked towards me and started to apply some concealer to hide the bags under my eyes. She rubbed it in while taking to me.

“So why do you look like shit anyway?” she inquired while putting more concealer on my face. Jesus it must be pretty bad. “That little shit of a boss made me stay and finish a report. I feel asleep at my desk” I grumbled trying to get the last bit of coffee from my cup. Isabelle finished with the concealer and tried to fix my hair. “Did you get it done” she asked but before I could answer we were interrupted. “Ooh some girl on girl action, I’ll just take a seat here ladies if you don’t mind” said a man’s voice. I groaned it was Cyril, you know the office pervert that I mentioned earlier, ya him. Isabelle and I both had a disgusted look on our faces, and she shuffled away. Cyril laughed and his double chin jiggled up and down. Everyone in the office knew that he was a total perv but nobody did anything about it because he was amazing at his job. He was in charge of Human Resources and if you needed to get anything changed he could do it for you. Well when Vivier was in charge I’m not so sure that he will be helpful with Hamilton here. There will be no more cheese and wine buffets on people’s birthdays. I sighed, even through Vivier ripped this company off by millions of dollars, I still wish he didn’t have to leave. Actually I wonder what’s happening with that court case. I voiced my thoughts about the situation.