Chapter 19

~Assurance~

~Assurance~

Books and papers scattered in front of you along with pens spread over the marble counter. You were intensely studying over your book report with pinched eyes together and a concentrated tongue licking over your lips, while a pot of hot water waiting to be boiled.

Sitting close to your studies, your pen tapped on your report as you read over your descriptive paragraphs out loud with a finger tracing each word. At last, coming to the last page of your essay, you've let out a breath exasperatedly once the frustration gotten the best of your tired mind.

You rubbed the temples of your head before diving into your class book to reread the quotes for citation, but the noise fussed coming from the front door disturbed your tranquility. Placing your writing utensil down, your eyes expected the French man walking pass the door with his usual scowling face.

You were right once you saw Levi removing his jacket from his arms and folding it to a neat square. He met eyes with you as he saw that you were tedious with your homework. He was wordless, going back to his own front-door routine.

"Welcome back," you greeted gently. "How was your walk with Petra?"

The question was an ordinary one, but he didn't expect you to ask about her. So he curiously aimed his eyes at you.

"Why does that matter to you?" he grouched sourly which it brought you to pout.

"It's just a question," you shrugged nonchalantly. "Ever heard of small talk?"

"I just think it doesn't benefit you at all if you knew how I feel about my walk with my ex fiance," Levi answered.

It gave a red tick on the forehead when he gave such an aggravating attitude to you. You remembered that this is his character he's emitting. Turning back to your papers, you decided to ignore the man from a potential argument.

"It was nice," he added momentarily with his voice low and gentle. It brought your gaze on him in bewilderment. "Thank you for asking."

Suddenly, the glowing warmth illuminated to your face again, rising from your heavy chest to the base of your throat. You averted your head back down to your papers when Levi walked pass you to meander to his room in exchange for his clothes, hoping that he didn't see your perturbed face.

Once you heard a shut from the room, signaling you that his presence was no longer in the room, you said quietly to yourself, "You're welcome."

After a moment of silence, you didn't expect the water to boil so slowly which it annoyed you since your stomach is anticipated with hunger. Using your time wisely, you began to prep the side dishes and shaved a layer of mizithra cheese into a glass bowl. Eventually, Levi's form entered the room, now dressed out of his business attire to home clothes.

He wandered to the island counter where your school work was distributed.

"You're getting better in your studies," he said while lifting your graded math test from your folder.