Chapter 43

~Love~

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

~Love~

The last hour you couldn't bear to watch. Seeing everybody at Kuchel's side, laying stiffly in her bed while her children surrounded her with grief - even you were part of holding the woman's hand over her sheet.

With so little time, you never realized that the moment has finally came. You knew so little of this lady, and you wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.

Although she was still a stranger to you, you never expected to grieve so heavily. A life is a life, and they all deserved to be missed.

The door opened, and then the familiar doctor arrived with a few other people behind him. The second he entered, Isabel wasn't prepared for the biggest moment as she clung onto the bed sheet where Kuchel laid quietly.

"Any last moment?" the doctor questioned thoughtfully.

Farlan gripped the woman's hand one last time before sauntering away to the corner. Isabel, who gave her several tears wetting the bed, kissed the dark haired woman's head and hugged her arm securely. The blond man had to hold her shoulder, assuring her that it was time.

You, however, still remained at her bedside, spilling your tears silently while averting your eyes at one particular person who's hiding in the room. Levi noticed your helpless stare, leaning against the wall casually with his arms folded over his chest. He approached where you were and gazed at his sick mother at the brink of her life.

You witnessed his face unstirred - uninterested, just looking indifferently at her with dry eyes. Then they fell on you while you were quietly crying to yourself. Finally, he took the seat next to you with his elbow propped on the bed.

His face wasn't visible to you anymore, only a faint side view of his profile shown the blankness of his expression. And that's the only thing you can comprehend from him.

His fingers slightly touched with the older woman's hand, holding it under his and brushing his thumb over the wrinkles of her knuckle. Somehow, only Kuchel can recognize that touch coming from her own son as a few muffled sounds emitted from her oxygen mask.

You can barely get a word from her, but you already knew what she was desperately trying to say yet she couldn't.

I love you.

By the fact that she was trying to so hard to say those words, there was no hope. All there is is just muffles and the weak tears peeking at the corners of her closed eyes. The image itself made you sob even more.

The stoic man sitting beside you wasn't baffled or moved. He just sat there calmly with lazy eyes, listening to his mother attentively with every attempt she gave to say her last words to her son.

"I'll miss you, Kuchel," you muttered through chokes.

Now, it doesn't seem like she was trying to form words but it sounded like she was also crying - a really deep, coughing cry. The sounds were heartbreaking, it was something you've never witnessed in your life that someone knows they're about to pass away.