Chapter 42

~Death~

~Death~

The train ride was painfully quiet on a weekday near sunset. You wished for it to go faster if the atmosphere is going to stay like this for a minute longer.

Levi, who sat next to you with his chin pressed against his palm, stared outside of the scenery to distract his thoughts. Blinking at him, you had no clue what he's feeling or what his mind was occupied with. You knew he was anxious for someone who's always so calm.

In a way, you were a little worried.

At last, the train reached to your destination and climbed over the next bus stop to arrive at the hospital. Both you and Levi walked casually to the front desk and state your reason for visiting. It didn't take long to find Kuchel's room but you already found a couple of people lingering inside.

A pair of pale blue eyes laid on the both of you, looking weary and puffed from sleepless nights. His face looked a bit relieved after witnessing an image of Levi,

"Levi, finally," Farlan relieved a breath.

But the second you two walked in, your attention was already drawn by Kuchel's lifeless body in her white bed. There was awfully different about her and her appearance. Her black raven hair looked thin, her skin aged with countless of wrinkles all over, even her body looked scrawny and bony as if a mosquito sucked all of her blood.

It wasn't that long from the last time you saw her, but this was a dramatic change in a short amount of time and it caught you in a chokehold.

"Is that...," you trailed but the whimpers from Isabel cried as she sobbed against Farlan's back.

Just the image of Kuchel like that, it was hard to believe. She didn't look like herself anymore. Blinking your eyes from the tears, you walked and faced the wall to get a hold of your emotions.

Levi didn't make a budge or even stirred his expression when his eyes fell on the image of his sick mother, breathing so lightly with an oxygen mask covering half of her face. Somehow, it didn't surprise you that he's not moved but it also annoyed you at the same time.

You were brave enough to ask, "What happened?"

"Her system is shutting down quickly more than we expected," Kuchel's doctor informed while flipping a few pages in her file. "Ever since she stopped moving in her bed, she couldn't be able to eat and speak on her own - due to her bone structure growing awfully weak."

"How is she eating then?' you continued.

"We have to put a tube down her throat in order for her to contain the nutrients she needs to live."

"Can she hear?"

"Yes," he nodded. "Unfortunately she cannot talk. She can't do anything other than to hear."