Chapter 29

Mina's POV

It's been a whole month since I found out that Sora is going to Harvard. And today, he's graduating high school.

I sat in the auditorium as I watched people being called up to receive their diploma. Just thinking about Sora leaving for the United States makes me wanna cry myself to sleep.

Right now, Headmaster Ebisu is calling out the names of the students who's last names start with "T". That just means that Sora's name is coming soon.

"Sakura Tachibana. This young lady is going to Japan University to become an elementary teacher!" Headmaster Ebisu announced into the microphone.

A petite girl with long, light pink hair came strolling up the steps with a bright smile on her face. She shook the hands of her teachers and the administrators and turned to the microphone.

"Hello! Thank you all for a great year, have an awesome summer guys!" Sakura said cheerily.

'Typical. Is anyone going to have a unique speech or what?' I wondered. I was honestly beginning to fall asleep from boredom.

"Next, our foreign exchange student from America, Amelia Turner! She will also be going to Japan University, but to study in business," Headmaster announced as a tall American girl with short, brunette hair came up the steps.

Amelia looked shy, and as she came up to the microphone, she only muttered a small, "Thank you," and walked away.

"Now, we have Siman Ung, another foreign exchange student from China! He's moving back to China to get his degree in computer programming."

A short Chinese kid came hopping up the stairs with a bright smile on his face.

"Hello and thank you!! IM COMING FOR YOU, TARYN-CHAN!!" Siman suddenly shouted into the microphone.

'Uhh... What? Is this "Taryn-chan" his girlfriend back home or something?' I thought. 'Well, I suppose this is unique...'

"Now, for the one you've all be waiting for. Well, some of you anyways... our valedictorian, Sora Usui!" Headmaster backed away from the podium and started off the clap, along with Cana-chan and I. Soon enough, claps boomed through the auditorium. "Sora will be attending Harvard in the United States to receive his bachelor's degree in law!"

Cheering yet again spread through the room wildly. I watched a tall, brown haired boy walk up the steps with a huge smile on his face.

"Hey guys," my boyfriend began before the cheering started up again, "umm... So I guess I'd like to thank my girlfriend, Mina, and all of my friends for always helping me out. And, I'm sorry that I have to leave Japan for four years. I love you." Sora walked down the steps on the other side of the stage and exited the building with his diploma in his hand.

My heart nearly stopped at those last few words he said. It never occurred to me that he'd be gone for four years. I had always thought that Sora would only be gone for a school year and come back for summer break.

'But I guess that would cost too much, huh?' I felt tears sting my eyes so I stood up and went outside. I stopped by my locker and got out my sketchbook. It's an old thing; many pages have fallen put, the spine is coming off and peeling. The pages have even turned slightly yellow. But, there are still many pages left to fill it up.

I took the sketchbook and pencils with me up to the roof. Since it's about 6 o'clock, the sun is starting to set. I lay down and just stared at the sunset beginning to form.

I just sat there on the rooftop for almost and hour when I decided to finally get up and walk to the park across from me and Sora's apartment building.