Chapter 25 | K. 596

Looking out into the distance, you could see nothing but the vast sea. You were assigned to the crow's nest for this afternoon, that's why you've been doing nothing but watching the horizon.

Just as you thought that nothing interesting was going to happen and that you could slack off, a small black dot seemed to approach the ship. You quickly grab the telescope to make sure it isn't an enemy ship of some sort, otherwise, you would have to inform the crew right away.

To your surprise, the black dot isn't a ship. It isn't even anything that should be out here on the sea. What you are seeing through your telescope, is a pile of metal lying on a white sheet, peacefully floating in your direction. You look down and spot Luffy suspiciously sneaking out of the kitchen.

"Luffy!" You call him and he looks up to you, startled. "There's something coming our way. Should we check it out?"

"Sure!" He jumps up, excited to hear that something is happening. You proceed to carefully climb down, but a pair of rubber arms wrap around you and for a moment you feel like you are flying. In the next second, you are standing next to Luffy. You smile at him playfully while fixing your hair.

"So, what is coming our way?" he asks.

"I saw a pile of metal floating on a sheet. Where was it?" You lean onto the railing and try to find it again, but you couldn't see it anywhere.

"WAHH! A silver sea monster!"

You turn around to see Usopp pointing and screaming at something to the right side of the ship. Taking a closer look, you realise the silver sea monster is actually the pile of metal you searched for.

"Ah, that's it," you say. "Luffy, that's what I saw earlier."

You both walk over to Usopp, who is still frantically pointing his finger at the pile. On the way, Luffy grabs his fishing rod. Seeing how the metal is only a few meters away, he tries to throw the hook and pull it closer.

Usopp gasps. "What are you doing?!"

You laugh at his expression. "Look closely, it's a pile of metal."

He calms down and laughs awkwardly. "Heh, of course I knew."

You turn your attention back to Luffy, who has swung out the fishing road multiple times and is still struggling to catch onto something with the hook. After another five tries, he finally managed to hook a ring at the end of a rod, sticking out of the pile.

"I did it!" Luffy yells. He proceeds to reel it in, yanking on the rod repeatedly.

"Call Zoro to help lift this thing out of the water," you tell Usopp.

The commotion of you four trying to get the sheet and everything on top of it onto the ship was noticed by Nami. She came out of her map-drawing room, ready to scold you for being too noisy. Her nagging only gets worse when she sees that you seemingly picked up a bunch of trash from the ocean.

You tell her that it was your idea to check it out and she calms down after she thought about the possibility of finding something remotely valuable amongst it. Now you are all busy rummaging through the metal.

The five of you cleared the top half of the pile. Usopp scavenged a lot of parts he could use for his nifty inventions and Nami had her hands full with examining every shiny piece while directing Zoro to dig further for her. On the other side, Luffy was playing around with what was once toys.

You move one broken machine out of the way after another. Nothing particularly sparks your interest, until you spot something black and white. A sense of familiarity washes over you and you quickly try to pull it out from beneath. Because you tug too hard at once, you fall backwards and tumble down the pile, when the piece you wanted came loose. You lie on the wooden deck, eyes closed, contemplating your poor choice of action. Your head hurt.