Chapter 27 | Fight

The day is coming to an end. Things have quieted down after a quick supper. The Bounty Hunter Duo Yosaku and Johnny were catching up with Zoro, chatting away and reminiscing about their first meeting. They described how much of a role model Zoro was and still is to them.

Hearing this you felt like you got to know another side of him. He suddenly wasn't just a strong loner but someone who gives inspiration to others.

"That's impressive," you remark. "I'm glad I got to hear this." You smile softly, not noticing the subtle glances from Zoro. A sense of restlessness begins to crawl up his spine and his hands tighten around his folded arms.

"I will go to sleep. Good night." He all of a sudden stands up and leaves the kitchen in a hurry. Your eyes follow him until the door shuts behind him.

"...Did I say something wrong?" you ask worriedly.

The bounty hunters exchange a few looks but ultimately shrug their shoulders. They tell you how everything seemed fine before you joined their conversation. You look down, causing strands of hair to cover part of your face.

"I-I'm sure it's not your fault!" Johnny quickly says. "He's probably just excited about our next destination!"

You don't say anything back and just walk out. You feel awful for not being able to talk to the people you want to talk to. On one hand, it is your own behaviour that interferes and on the other, the person doesn't seem to want to be near you. This had been going on for two days now. It is either you avoiding Luffy or Zoro avoiding you.

Someone holding an oil lamp approaches you in the dark. The warm light radiates your cold body. They sit down next to you, waiting for you to say something. After a long period of silence, they give up on waiting.

"The atmosphere is terrible recently," Usopp comments. You look at him with sorrowful eyes, searching for guidance. "I should be the last person to say it... but it's no use fleeing from your problems."

"I'm not able to solve it," you whine. "I can't think of the right words."

He looks at you with confidence. "Sometimes actions speak louder than words."

An idea clicks in your mind. Never would you have expected to think of the thing you were about to do. You slowly straighten up and stare grimly into the distance.

"Give me some of your gunpowder," you demand. Usopp wants to ask you for the reason but when he sees your vacuous face, he shudders and quickly agrees.

You walk to the middle of the ship, taking long and decisive steps. Everything is silent around you.

"Get down here Zoro!" you shout.

Movement could be heard from the crow's nest. Shuffling, creaking and a thud come next. In a second, he stands before you, not willing to look directly at you.

"What do you want?" he asks.

"Fight me."

"What?"

"I want a fight!"

Zoro flinches slightly at your raised voice. Seeing how serious you are, he tries to ignore the feud with his emotions momentarily. "Fine, I'll listen to what you have to say–"

BANG

A bullet leaves your gun, missing him by a head length.

"I said I want to fight, not talk."

He grits his teeth and tightens his fists. He doesn't understand what has gotten into you. He is angry at himself for ignoring the issue for so long.

The sound of the firing bullet alerted everyone except Luffy. They hurry to the deck but stop in their tracks when they see the scene in front of them. Nami and the duo look at each other confused, only Usopp trembles knowingly in fear. But when one of them wanted to stop the fight, he resolutely blocked their path.

Zoro draws a single katana and takes his stance. You put back your gun and unsheathe you knife, seeing how he doesn't want to fight with his full capability. Closing your eyes for a second to the rhythm of your breathing, you focus on the soft material binding the grip.

Your eyes burst open. Leaping forward, you make the first attack. Your blades clash together. Zoro blocks with gritted teeth. He didn't expect the amount of strength you put into your charge. To be honest, he never knew such a small knife could deal this much damage.

He pushes you back and lifts his sword to strike. One. Two. Three hits were all deflected by you. You clash together again, each of you attempting to hit the other one's weapon away. Zoro grimaces as his arms twitch. He finally looks you in the eye, only to see your blank expression. It aggravated him how little you are bothered with this situation.

Don't you understand how much it pains him to fight you?

With one gush of strength, he knocks the knife out of your hands. The observers gasp. Your eyes widen as you tumble backwards. Zoro pushes you to the ground and locks your wrists in place. You growl when you hit the wooden deck and try to wiggle out of his hold.

Zoro stares intently into your eyes. How long has it been since he paid this much attention to you? You stop struggling and stare back.

"Do you dislike me?" he asks, breaking the silence.

Your expression turns distressed. "What? No! On the contrary, I really like you."

He furrows his eyebrows as his cheeks tint red. He tries to cover his face, unintentionally releasing your wrist. You use the chance to roll on top of him, now holding him in place.

"Hah! I won... so... stop ignoring me... and talk... to me again," you say triumphantly as you run out of breath. You gasp and pant while the energy escapes, leaving you behind exhausted and sluggish. Your whole body feels heavy and suddenly you collapse onto Zoro.

"Hahaha... Ha ha!" he starts laughing like a maniac. The spectators raise an eyebrow at his behaviour but they are relieved that it is over now.

"Ha..." Zoro looks up at the starry sky. He puts his arms behind his head and listens to your steady breathing. You bury your face deeper into his chest, enjoying the warmth.

His face turns red again but this time, he doesn't want to hide it anymore. Instead, a wide smirk spreads on his lips. "What a great night," he says out loud, feeling on top of the world.