Chapter 36 | Cold

"Alright! Let's set sail!" Luffy exclaims as you wave the sea restaurant goodbye. It has become a sort of habit for you to observe the island until it is no longer visible. You would often zone out completely, only gazing and feeling the wind brush past your face.

"But I can't believe you stopped Hawkeyes' attack!" Yosaku points out. You happen to catch what he said and turn around to join the conversation.

"Hawkeyes?" you repeat. "Is that his name?"

"Don't tell you don't know the Shichibukai Dracule Mihawk! He's the strongest swordsman alive!"

Mi... hawk

Something about the sound of his name resonates with a part deep within you. You put a hand up to your chest, wondering why your body is reacting in a strange way. Now that you think about it, the unique colour of his eyes reminded you of someone you have seen a long time ago. Someone gentle and caring, not fierce and eager to attack, such as the man you met earlier.

"Based on what happened earlier, sister Nami is headed to Arlong Park. She was definitely staring intently at Arlong's wanted poster. And right before we said his crew was wreaking havoc again recently, she took off with the treasure."

"She must've had quite the past with Arlong. After she threw you two overboard, she was crying because of him. I don't believe she wanted to betray any of us," you explain.

While you two were speculating about Nami's intentions, Sanji prepared a hearty meal. Just when you are about to sit down and enjoy it, a giant sea monster appears from the surface of the water.

"A cow?" you say nonchalantly, more concerned about the food getting cold than the enormous creature. Looks like you are not the only one who cares more for food than anything else. With Luffy's punch and Sanji's kicks, the monster was defeated in a heartbeat.

"I like your fighting style, it's fun to watch," you comment while softly smiling at the cook.

"You think so? I'm honoured to receive your compliment, mademoiselle!"

"But next time you could go easier on that animal. It's kind of cute."

After you finished the meal, Luffy used the sea monster pull you faster towards the destination. You are approaching the shore at a concerning high speed but nobody says anything until it is too late and you are sent flying across the island. Everyone except Luffy is clinging onto the boat for their dear lives and screaming their lungs out. You, on the other hand, are pushed up against the mast, enjoying the sensation of flying.

Eventually, the boat crashes into the ground. But before it could shatter, you already ported when the ground was in sight. And seeing how Yosaku was gripping the mast, you took him with you. Luckily no one is injured, apart from Zoro who somehow got in front of the crashing ship.

"The hell do you think you are doing?!" he yells as he holds his bleeding head.

"Zoro, you're here!" you say happily but get worried at his form. "Are you alright?" You quickly stop his bleeding with the move of a hand.

"Yeah, I am fine," he answers. "How are you feeling? You fainted."

"Ah, don't worry about it." You scratch your cheek. "Have you met Nami on the way?"

"Well... you could say I have."

"That's good!" you exclaim. "I'm glad she waited for us to come help her." Zoro lowers his head, not sure how to deliver the message of what Nami has been doing this whole time. Her intentions were never pure, to begin with. The bond you formed, was it anything significant?

Just when you are talking about her, she shows up in person.

"Nami, you're here!" Luffy shouts.

"Why did you come to this island?" she asks coldly.

"Aren't we crewmates? We've come, for you of course!"

"Crewmates? Don't make me laugh. It was nothing but a stupid little cooperation." Her voice sounds apathetic as if seeing the bunch of you is a big nuisance to her. "Get off this island! You're an eyesore!" Her expression darkens even more. "Farewell."

Your face went blank as you listened to her speech. Until the end, you could not comprehend the sudden change of attitude. Although her words hurt, you could not forget the Nami who shook in fear and cried as she stood in front of you and poured out her feelings. How could you turn away now, in a situation where she desperately needs help from her friends?

You disregard everything else and run after her. During a moment of confusion, the rest of the crew lost sight of you. You spot Nami walking listlessly to the village.

"Nami," you call out to her. At first, she does not stop but then she hesitates and turns around.

"What do you want?" she sighs annoyed and crosses her arms.

"I don't think you're being very honest right now. It's unreasonable to tell us to leave after I saw you crying on the ship," you say calmly. "Can't you at least tell me what's happening?"

She stares at you for a long time. "Fine," she finally says. "Follow me." Nami leads you to a house, her house presumably. It is small but cosy and surrounded by orange trees. When you walk in, you immediately notice a picture frame. You pick it up and look at the family portrayed in it.

"That's Bellemere, my sister Nojiko and me," Nami suddenly says. "Bellemere was a strong and brave marine. She protected us with her life."

Was?

"She died in the hands of pirates. Fishman Arlong to be exact." Emotion returns to her voice. "I was small when he came to this island. He took her from me and forced me to draw maps for him. After I joined his crew, he promised me he'd free everyone if I could pay him 100 million bellies." She sits down at the table and rests her head in her hand.

"And that's how I became a thief."

Hello, everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday~ Last weekend I had a great time resting at home and watching movies! (And eating delicious food, of course!)

I'm sorry my break lasted longer than I expected, teachers always like to flood us with exams right before the holidays...

Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! A big thanks to everyone who showed my story so much support! I'm really happy ヾ(^∇^)

₍ᐢ•ﻌ•ᐢ₎*・゚。 Until next time...

~ Rin