Chapter 35 | Wave

"How cruel," Shanks remarks. "It's not possible to estimate how far some people go for money."

Mihawk nods, silently acknowledging his statement.

"I assume in the end she never got the chance to go with you."

He vacantly looks up at the sky. "Something quite unbelievable happened." Shanks edges closer, anticipating what he is about to say. "There was a huge wave."

"A huge wave?!" Shanks shouts. "Wait... huh? What do you mean there was a huge wave?"

"You heard me. That's exactly what there was," he answers. "It came directly at us. Everyone and everything was pulled with it. I was too and I believe so was she." He remains quiet for a while after finishing that sentence. The next thing he remembered was how he got washed up on the next island they almost arrived on. If only the World Government didn't send out the wanted posters, maybe she could have been by his side right now.

"If that's so..." Shanks breaks the silence. "Was that really her you saw with Luffy?"

"The presence she gave off was completely different. Not to mention I started hearing rumours about a talented young girl with a golden gun around two years ago. People said she was the one on the wanted poster but I never believed them. I even doubted her when I first saw her with my own eyes. But there's no mistaking it. It's her and she got a lot stronger."

Shanks scratches his head and frowns. "Eh? Two years ago?" He broods over what Mihawk said. "I think I heard about her too. Wasn't she in the old man's crew? What did they call her...? S something."

"Silent Gunner."

"Do you think our relationship could be different if you were only a simple pianist?"

A pianist? Who is this? Who is asking?

The relationship we had, was it... special?

Your eyes shoot open. You press your hand against your chest and feel how fast your heart is beating. The dream you were having took you by surprise. You don't know how long it has been since the last time you dreamt. When you try to think about the dream, you couldn't recall it anymore, only that it made you heart race. You snicker at how weird you're being and roll over, wanting to sleep a little longer, but...

"Oh! You're finally awake!" Luffy's cheerful face is centimetres away from your own.

"Stop being so loud when she just- OI!" Sanji suddenly dashes over and throws Luffy out of the bed. "What were you thinking lying so close next to a lady and in the same bed?!"

"Ahhh!" you sit up and scream.

"Now you react? Wait, never mind." Sanji picks up a tray and walks over to you, purposely stepping on Luffy on his way. "Mademoiselle, I made you some soup." He put tray next to the bed.

You stare at your reflection in the content of the bowl, not moving a finger.

"Is something wrong? Do you have no appetite?"

"No, it's just..." you reply. "Can I get something sweet, please?"

"If you don't want it, I'll take it!" Luffy stretched his rubber arm but Sanji slaps it away.

"Sorry if I sound pushy, but I noticed you didn't eat anything except dessert before and as your cook, I have to make sure you get the right nutrition's."

"It's fine. I only need sugar." Suddenly, tears are rolling down your cheeks. "Huh?" You quickly try to wipe them away but tears keep coming. Your sight becomes blurry. You could hear someone calling your name, but their voice sounds muffled.

"Y/N!"

Luffy's hands grab your shoulders, firmly holding you in place. You realise you almost fell off the bed.

"The soup is really good! I want to have it-"

"Oi!" Sanji shouts.

"But I'm giving it to you so you have to drink it!"

The last of your tears fall down and you blink a few times at the childish pirate in front of you. Hearing him say that, you couldn't help but smile. How could you refuse to drink the soup now? You pick up the spoon on the silver tray and scoop a spoonful of warm soup. You brace yourself before bringing it close to your mouth. When the liquid touches your tongue, your eyes begin to sparkle.

"Delicious..."

Sanji smirks at your compliment, while Luffy's mouth waters at the sight of you gulping down the bowl of soup. Not a single drop is left in there.

"It will be a pleasure for me to let you taste even more delicious food from now on as your ships cook," Sanji beams.

"Oh, a new crew member. Congratulations, Luffy!" you exclaim. "Your crew is coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing who will join next if I'm still here."

"Wait, wait, wait. The way you're talking, are you not part of his crew?" Sanji asks, confused.

"Technically not."

His smile instantly vanished. "Maybe I should think it over."

"No going back now! You already agreed!" Luffy objects but Sanji starts rambling about how there is no way he can stay in a crew without any females. Listening to his exaggerated talk, something in your mind clicks.

"Ah, Nami!"

They turn to look at you.

"We have to get back to Nami quickly!"

You jump up, grab one of their arms each and run downstairs. They gasp and have no choice but to follow along. You sprint across the restaurant and onto the deck, where most of the chefs were already gathered as if they were anticipating you. At the end of the deck, a small ship is anchored. Yosaku, one-half of the Bounty Hunter Duo, is waiting onboard.

Letting go of their arms, you hop onto the ship. Luffy follows after you. You watch how Sanji walks past all the other cooks, his comrades, without a word.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye?" Luffy asks.

"I don't have to, let's go."

"Hey, Sanji," a voice is heard from up on the terrace of the Baratie. "Don't catch a cold."

Sanji pauses. His eyes begin to water. "Owner Zeff!" he yells, turning around and kneeling down. He bows his head. "I'm eternally grateful to you for taking care of me for so damn long! For the rest of my life, I shall never forget the debt I owe you!"

 "I'm eternally grateful to you for taking care of me for so damn long! For the rest of my life, I shall never forget the debt I owe you!"

With that, everyone dropped their act and their tears poured out.