Chapter 19 | Maid

Kaya's scared expression turns into a confused one. "A maid? Who has guns?"

"A maid by day and a guard by night. A truly multitalented servant!" Usopp isn't shaken at all by her argument.

"Wait a moment. I'm really no-"

"Ah~! Only Merry is able to pick the most splendid staff members!" He cuts you off and signals you to go along with his act when Kaya carefully observes you.

Considering how you just walked into a stranger's house, you don't have much of a choice than to show her that you mean no harm at all. You stand up straight, put your legs together and proceed to perfectly bow down in a ninety degrees angle.

Kaya is taken aback by the sudden change of vibe you are giving off. She senses your sophisticated manner and is quite impressed by your bow. She tells you to lift your head. You do so and smile softly at her and Usopp, your eyebrow twitching slightly at his smirking face. He is proud that his lie went through.

The door to Kaya's bedroom opens and in comes Merry, her loyal servant, whose head resembles that of a fluffy sheep.

"There you are! Just at the right time," Kaya says cheerfully. "Our new maid is here!"

"New... maid?" he murmurs.

Usopp looks back and forth between her and sheep head nervously.

"Oh, of course! I understand," Merry replies. "Come here, I will show you around."

You follow him out the room while confusedly glancing back at Usopp's astonished face. Merry leads you down the hallway and into the kitchen. He turns away from you and clenches his hand with a stream of tears running down his face. 'Young mistress hired her first servant! I am so proud,' he thinks. 'This girl. A handpicked staff member!' He faces you again.

"Here is a shopping list for you, this errand will be your first task." He hands you a paper envelope along with a basket.

"Wait, I'm really no-"

"This calls for a celebration! Now go and buy every dessert at the local bakery."

Bakery? Dessert?!

You turn on your heels and dash out the front door.

"Be safe!" Merry shouts after you.

// { At the restaurant }

"Let's go to that mansion and ask for the things we need," Nami says.

Right before they walk out, the owner stops them. "You have to pay first!"

Nami grabs the two guys whistling and walking out by the collar and drags them back. "Now, now. You two ate the most. It's only fair you pay," she whispers intimidatingly into their ears.

Luffy eyes Zoro from the side. "He promised Y/N to treat us to a meal one time!" he calls out and chuckles. Zoro growls at him.

'Y/N you're the best!' Nami thinks. //

You sneeze as you swing open the glass door to the bakery. It's a miracle you found it so quickly. Your rumbling stomach might be the trigger for your unbelievable speed. The young woman at the counter welcomes you while you scan the different cakes, cupcakes, pies and biscuits in the display case.

You rip open the envelope. Inside are money and a piece of paper with the words every item on display written on it. The clerk looks at you with surprise but then realises you must work for the young mistress. She neatly packs the desserts into pretty boxes and places them inside your basket. You hand her the money and before you could leave, she calls you to wait and sit down for a moment.

"This is our new flavoured cupcake." She presents it to you. "Since you bought so much, I would like you to be the first one to try!"

Your mouth waters at the sight and you immediately accept the offer.

"So good~" you mumble with a mouthful of sugary goodness.

Feeling accomplished, you stride back to the mansion, where Merry is already waiting for you. You deliver the basket to him and he tells you to prepare some afternoon tea.

"Wait, before you do that..." He rustles through a closet. "You have to put on proper attire!" He enthusiastically holds up a classic maid outfit and shoves it into your arms.

You frown as you look at the ruffles on the dress. "Is this really necessary?"

"Absolutely! Now get a move on, we don't want the young mistress to wait," he says as he pushes you into a spare room. You let out a sigh and accept it because since he is so passionate about it. You observe the outfit again.

At least the colours are the ones I usually wear.

You decide to simply wear the dress over your current clothes. This way even your weapons are hidden under it. As you are fixing the white apron, something falls out of its pocket.

Great... a ruffled headpiece.