Shorts | Lie

According to Nami's request, you are in the storage room, noting down how many supplies this ship now carries. You finished counting a box of carrots and just started with a sack of potatoes. Suddenly, a knock sounds from the door.

"Come in," you say.

The doorknob slowly twists open. A certain swordsman steps in and closes the door behind him. He clears his throat to get your attention.

"Zoro," you look up from the potatoes, "you don't need to knock next time."

He paces around the room and clears his throat again. "Uh... how is your neck?"

You instinctively move your hand up to the wound. "I-It's all better!" You stammer with a high-pitched voice. Trying to avert this topic, you look down at the potatoes and pretend to continue counting them.

"Unlike someone, you are a terrible liar," Zoro whispers into your ear.

When you turn, you notice that his face is only a few centimetres away from yours. You flinch back a little. As he reaches his hand out, you glance to the side, avoiding eye contact with him. Zoro pulls on one of the tips of the band and it comes fluttering off, revealing the red and pulsating cut.

Your eyes widen once you recognise who the band which covered your wound belonged to.

"Sorry."

"For what?"

"I lied."

"Why did you lie?" he asks sternly.

"The healing doesn't work," you mutter. "On me."

You had small rashes, cuts and blisters before. Even when you concentrated harder than while healing others, your wounds wouldn't disappear. With the cut on your neck, you didn't even bother to try.

"Then why did you not ask someone else to treat you?"

"I," you start with your head held low, "I was embarrassed."

He lets out a deep sigh. "Geez. Rely on us, on me, a bit more, will ya?" Zoro puts his hand over your head and gives you a few pats. You look at him slightly surprised. "Do not hold in your worries next time." He takes out a roll of bandage from his pocket and proceeds to tie it around your neck. "I will take care of you."

Hearing that, you could feel the weight being lifted off your body. The corners of your mouth curl up into a smile. "Thank you."

Zoro senses the heat rising to his face. He removes his hands and stands up, showing you his back. "Good work with counting those," he says while taking big steps out of the storage room. You watch the door close behind him and listen to the sound of his footsteps until they are too far away to hear.

You don't think much of it and focus back on the task in front of you.

Meanwhile, Zoro is treading to the opposite side of the ship, rubbing his nose, trying to hide his flushed face.

"Zoro, did you get a cold?" Usopp asks.

"Shut up!"

Hello, hello!

This is a special extra chapter for reaching over 3k reads and over 300 votes!

"Shorts" are short stories, usually involving only one person from the Straw-hats. It's where the additional bonding happens. These short stories don't advance the plot, they are solely there for enjoyment.

Of course, if you want to have more interaction with a certain character from the Straw-hats, you can also request "Shorts" :)

Thank you all for the support and I hope you will continue to enjoy my story!

~ Rin