Chapter 45 | Whale

Log #14 – Entering the Grand Line

We were met with a handful of complications while making our way to the Red Line, Reverse Mountain or as everyone calls it – the entrance to the Grand Line. Due to the heavy storm that drove us away from Loguetown, we were transported to the Calm Belt, where giant sea monsters reside in. This was the reason why no person could enter the Grand Line easily and carelessly.

The currents around the entrance are so powerful, they could send you straight to the bottom of the ocean. Our ship almost missed the opening but through Luffy's abilities, we dodged the issue. The stream of the Reverse Mountain was very strong, it sent us upwards speedily. Upon arriving at the top, we immediately went down again at full speed.

Halfway down Reverse Mountain, we spotted a gigantic whale in the path of our way and had to commence an emergency stop. After provoking the whale, the ship and the people onboard were swallowed by it.

The front of the ship, the sheep's head, was broken off. A few other damages on the ship were noticeable but none of us was injured.

You put the pen aside and take a sip of tea. Beside you, Nami is charting out the navigation route and Sanji is preparing the elephant tuna he bought. You are sitting in front of a lighthouse, governed by a protective old man wearing a flower decoration on his head.

"How's the logbook going?" Nami asks, still concentrated on her map.

"I'm finished with the events in Loguetown up to now," you reply, quite proud of how it turned out.

"Thanks again for taking over," she says.

Nami asked you to help her with the logbook from now on. You both agree that documenting all the adventures you have been on is an important process. At first, Nami has been doing the task. When she wanted to write down the very start of Luffy's journey, she asked him to make the entry but that turned into a gibberish drawing. She then found out that you were present from very early on and asked you to do it. Nami was quite impressed by how coherent your entry was and thought that you should now be in charge of the logbook.

The Reverse Mountain was a wild ride, you think. But the truth is, you enjoyed it thoroughly. You glance at the giant whale sticking its head through the water. The guardian of Laboon the whale is talking about how it has been waiting for a pirate crew for 50 years. Just when he finishes telling the story, Luffy rips off the ship's mast and starts fighting the whale. Everyone is screaming at him but you just sigh amusingly and pick up the pen again.

While comforting/fighting the whale Laboon, Luffy broke the ship's mast. A promise to fight again when they meet was made.

Right after you sailed away from the lighthouse, you notice the temperature changing drastically. Suddenly you see snowflakes wandering down the sky, slowly coating the ship in a white sheet. You were not aware of how long you have been staring at the clouds until you felt someone put a blanket around your shoulders. You turn to see Sanji smiling cheesily.

"I don't want you to freeze out here Y/N," he says, still holding onto your shoulders.

"Oh... thanks," you reply, only now feeling how cold you were. You wrap the blanket around your body, snuggling into the warmth. "Woah," you say to see if your breath is visible and you smile satisfyingly when you could.

Unknowingly to him, Sanji has been staring at you, captivated by how much you are enjoying the simplest things and how cute your actions are. Smiling about your warm breath being observable in the cold makes him want to explore other things that could make you smile brightly.

"Hello? Sanji?" You wave your hand in front of his face because you saw that he completely blanked out. He snaps out of his strange thoughts and comes back to his senses. "Snow is collecting on your head," you comment and brush them out of his hair. Sanji feels his heart beating faster and suddenly his heart shaped eyes are beckoning you to continue.

"Ah~ I can't get enough of your sweet touch!" he exclaims. You pull your hand back, a little perplexed by what he said. "You can do it mo–" A snowball hits his face before he could say anything else. The snow melts fast from the heat he is emitting.

"Whoops, sorry about that!" Usopp shouts and quickly runs away when he sees Sanji chasing angrily after him. When Luffy started laughing at them, he got hit by a snowball almost immediately.

You go into the kitchen to make yourself some hot tea when you see the two strangers sitting at the table, wrapped in blankets and shivering. "What are your names again?" you ask as you sit down across from them.

They blink and look at each other simultaneously before asking, "Who are you?"

"... I'm Y/N and I'm travelling with this crew," you answer hesitantly, confused by their tone.

"What? Did you ask for a ride too?" the man asks.

"Huh? No, I've been here the whole time."

The two of them still do not seem to believe you but they decide to let it go. "I'm Miss Wednesday!" the blue haired girl says. "And I'm Mr. 9!" Now you know why you did not remember their names when they first showed up, they are way too long. You still do not bother to keep them in mind.

All of a sudden Nami rushes in, saying the ship changed direction on its own. Hurriedly, she directs everyone to take control of it again. Just after she speaks out the instructions, the winds start changing again and the weather is going ballistic. Sun, rain, fog, it looks like it just could not decide on which to choose. You grab the telescope and port to the crow's nest to watch out for anything dangerous.

"There's an iceberg up ahead!" you warn the rest but the waves are too wild to steer in causing the ship to graze the boulder of ice.

"Water's leaking in the lower deck!" Luffy shouts.

"Hurry up and fix it then!" Nami orders.

"On it!" Usopp says.

The weather finally settled down and everyone collapsed from the exhaustion. Only Zoro, who was napping the whole time, is up and full of energy. Nami is quick to let her fist meet his head for all the non-existent contribution from him.

You peer up when you see something green emerging in the distance. An island full of giant cacti is the next destination!