Chapter 14 | Candy

An exhausting day was over. The sun set and a bright moon appeared in the sky. The sails have been pulled up and secured.

Nami turned layers of towels into a makeshift bed. You both lied down with your backs facing each other, ready to go to sleep. Right before you almost fall asleep, you hear Nami whispering.

"Y/N?"

You shift your position slightly to hear her more clearly. "Yes?" you whisper back.

"I didn't get the chance to ask you this earlier," she starts speaking louder. "You're not a pirate, are you?"

Hearing that, you think about her question for a moment. "Technically, I'm not– "

"Then why are you out on the sea with pirates?" she asks before you could say anything else. Her voice sounds soft, but you could tell how serious she is being.

"It was a coincidence."

"I see..."

"Why are you asking? Do you dislike pirates?" You wait for an answer, but there is none.

You don't put deeper thoughts into Nami's behaviour and crawl out of the layers of towels, careful not to wake her up, since she just fell asleep. The reason you are sneaking out of the little cabin is because you want to get a breather. Just after you sat down and leaned onto the cabin wall, you feel the boat tilt slightly. The next thing you feel is someone stumbling over your legs.

"Sorry!" A boy with certain straw-hat looks at you surprised. "Eh, what're you doing here Y/N?"

"Enjoying the night. You?"

He smiles, plops himself down and scoots closer to you. "Looking for something to eat, you have anything?"

Startled, you blink a few times at his face, which is really close to yours. Quickly, you shift your gaze and search through your pockets, taking out a handful of the candies Nami gave you. "I only have these." You extend your hand, showing Luffy the caramel bonbons.

"Ah! Candy!" He grabs them and starts peeling the thin foil. You are a bit shocked that he took all of the bonbons you have left. Before he put another piece of candy into his mouth, he takes a glance at your longing eyes and stops his motion. "Here," he says and stuffs the candy between your lips, into your slightly parted mouth. "You really like sweet stuff, right?" He grins cheekily.

You move away a bit, even more shocked by his actions. Luffy laughs at your reaction. When your heartbeat returned to a steady pace, you begin nibbling on the caramel bonbon. "Is it obvious?" you ask.

"Yeah, at the restaurant you ordered nothing but dessert. Also, your face..." He covers his mouth and chuckles at the thought.

"I get it, I get it."

He always finds something to laugh or smile about, doesn't he?

"I don't need it anymore, you can have them." He tosses the leftover sweets into your hands. This catches you off-guard. You thought he would eat the rest. You put the three bonbons back into your pocket.

"Ah, now I'm tired!" Luffy stretches his arms and leans his head backwards onto your lap.

"Wha–"

"Can you hold onto this for me? I don't want it to get blown away." He hands you his straw-hat. You hesitantly take it. As you look at it, your fingers automatically glide over the three vertical breaches caused by Buggy's previous stabs.

Blown away? There's no wind tonight.

You move the straw-hat closer to your chest in order to tell him, but the moment you see his face, you know nothing you say would affect him anymore. He's already sound asleep.

You let out a sigh and close your eyes.

See, even when he's sleeping, he's smiling.

In the morning, Nami wakes up and notices the empty spot next to her. She walks out the cabin, only to find you asleep with Luffy using your lap as a pillow.

'Oh, what do we have here~' She chuckles at the sight. 'I wonder what they were doing out here alone,' she thinks.

Nami gets closer to you and grins at the way you're hugging Luffy's straw-hat. She takes a look around you and as soon as she lays her eyes on the candy wrappers, a tick mark appears on her forehead. She clenches her fist, holding back her urge to punch the rubber boy.

'They were snacking at night!'