Chapter 28 | Cannonball

// { North Blue }

"At the beginning of our world, the twelve legends nurtured the tree of life through their twelve forces. Twelve is the number of what is completed, which forms a whole, a perfect and harmonious unit. It symbolises the command and the good, and governs the space and the time. Along the way, harmony fell apart and the three legends who governed the most powerful forces abandoned the tree of life. Not able to sustain itself, the unity broke down and a new influence took control over our world. This created the evil which coveted the heart of the tree of life. The twelve forces will reunite into one perfect root until the day our world sees peace again..."

"Grandpa, how many times have you told me this old tale already?" a child asks, disheartened about not hearing a different bedtime story.

"Haha! Not enough times my child, not enough..." //

Luffy and Usopp are sitting on the railing of the ship, fishing pole in hand and waiting for something edible to finally bite onto their hooks. The more impatient one out of the two yawns and throws the pole to the side.

"Already?" Usopp asks, not thrilled to see his lack of motivation.

"Ahh! We didn't see a single fish!" Luffy whines.

"Still, if we want to eat anything else than carrots and potatoes all day, we have to catch it ourselves," he justifies.

Luffy doesn't listen to his comrade's reasoning. He lies down and stares at the cloudless sky. "Say... Why do I feel like I haven't heard Y/N's voice for ages?"

"Where's that coming from all of a sudden?"

"I don't like it," he says bluntly.

A loud sigh escapes Usopp's mouth. "Then you'll have to deal with it yourself." At this moment, he feels something faintly tugging at the string of the fishing pole. His eyes widen and he pays close attention to the right time to pull it.

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean?!" Luffy props up and starts shaking Usopp violently.

"Stop! It'll get away!" he shouts but the outcome was already fixed. When he pulls the rod up, he meets an empty hook.

After that ordeal, Usopp walks into the kitchen and coincidently sees you there. He spots you snacking packet of cookies while holding a plate of assorted bakery products in your hand. You two make eye contact and you stop in your tracks mid-bite.

"Oh, we were just talking about you," he mumbles to himself.

You swallow down what is left in your mouth and reach the plate out to him. "Want some?"

"I'm fine," he answers. "But are you going to eat all that by yourself?"

"No. I'm sharing them with Zoro. He's showing me how he polishes his swords," you respond with a smile.

"Well, it's good you two are all buddy-buddy now." He takes two mugs from the cabinet and pours you a cup of tea along with his. "Before you go to him, though, there's something I've been curious about." He takes a seat in front of you and smirks, leaning closer.

"Thanks and what is it?"

"I want to know more about your powers."

"Let me summarise it." Usopp clears his throat. "First, there is teleportation. You focus on an image of a place in your head and puff, you're there! And the second one is healing, using your right hand you can close any wound of another person," he says enthusiastically. "How was that?"

"That's right," you respond.

"Plus, you don't have no idea where you got them from and if you'll get more!"

"That's ri– Wait, get more?"

"Of course! If you already have two, who says you can't get more?" He points at his head, rambling about how only a genius like him could have thought of that possibility. You laugh awkwardly at his speech.

Suddenly the door to the kitchen swings open and a certain swordsman enters.

"Why are you taking so long?" Zoro asks. He takes a glance at Usopp. "What are you doing, holding her up for so long?"

"I was just asking her about something," Usopp responds.

Zoro continues looking at him for a while and then crosses his arms. He turns to you. "Y/N, I will have to show you next time how I polish my swords. The sea restaurant is in sight," he explains, almost sounding a bit disappointed.

"We arrived?" You jump up excitedly.

When you walk out the kitchen, you see the other already staring at the floating restaurant. That moment is shortly interrupted by a marine ship. A marine headquarters lieutenant by the name of Ironfist Fullbody wants to confront the captain of the pirate ship. The bounty hunter duo try to stop him but are immediately beaten. They fall onto the deck spilling their collected bounty posters over the floor. When Nami kneels down to pick them up, her expression darkens.

"Consider yourselves lucky, I only came here to eat," Fullbody says. He commands the cannons to be pointed at your ship. "Sink'em."

"He fired!" Usopp screams in panic.

"Leave it to me!" Luffy inhales a deep breath and his body swells up to the shape of a balloon. The cannonball ricochets but unintendedly hits the restaurant instead of the marine ship.

 The cannonball ricochets but unintendedly hits the restaurant instead of the marine ship

Ah... what a great first impression...

✘