Chapter 34 | Gunshots

Shanks bends forward, trying to get a better look at Mihawk's expression, who has been silent for a while. He noticed how different the swordsman is acting from his usual self and he believes he is really pouring his heart out with this story.

"You really liked her, huh?" he whispers.

Staying in the same position, staring at the ground, Mihawk nods. Shanks chugs down his drink and pats him on the shoulder.

"Tell me what happened afterwards."

25 years ago

Time went by and the ration of sugar she received shrunk with every passing day. She became sluggish and weak, her muscles and joints started hurting.

Mihawk was at a loss of what to do. The next island they were headed to was still three days away. He offered to plunder passing ships but the group outright refused this action. Besides, he has not seen a single ship. With the blue sky overcasted with thick clouds, it was especially hard to see.

He had no choice but to watch her suffer.

After two days of constant worrying, he thought he could finally take a breather, seeing how they were approaching the next island. But little did he know what was waiting for him.

A white pigeon, the same one which brought him the first letter from the World Government, fluttered onto his shoulder. Bound to its leg was a tiny scroll telling him how they have taken matters into their own hands to speed up the search. Mihawk's hand began to shake as he read the note and it was in this moment when a newspaper carrying seagull flew over their heads.

The newspaper landed directly in the music group's leader's hands. With it came a newly printed wanted poster. Mihawk held his breath as his eyes scanned over the poster. On it was a picture of a golden gun. There was no mistake, it's the same one she carried.

"S. G., 120 million bellies," the leader reads aloud. "Only alive."

Mihawk remained silent. In his mind, he was already thinking of a way to escape with her. He knew with a certainty that the entire music group was aware of who the wanted poster meant. With the amount of money given out as a reward, people would easily consider handing a comrade over to the marines.

"Is that... Y/N?"

"We could afford so much with that money."

The mutters between the members confirmed his thought. He rushed to the other side of the ship where she was taking a nap, but to his surprise he only found his coat on the ground. He gritted his teeth and clutched his mantle. Suddenly his head jerked up as he heard the faint sound of a piano.

"What are you doing?!" he asked with a strong tone as he barged into the cabin. She froze for a second. Her dark hair loosened from behind her ear and covered parts of her face.

"Just practising," she eventually mumbled.

Mihawk stepped closer and grabbed her arms, making her look directly into his eyes. "You can choose to explain later but I really couldn't care less about the reason why they're searching for you because I already made the decision to take care of you," he spoke softly. "Will you come with me?"

She stared into his eyes, almost mesmerised by the intensity of them. Her body slumped forward and her head landed against his chest. He unconsciously moved his hands to hold her closer, he could feel his heart beat faster and faster.

"Hey... are you alright?" He nudged her slightly. "You can't fall asleep now, I need to hear your answer before I can carry you out." A smile crept across his face when he felt her head graze up and down.

Just when Mihawk was about to kick open the door with her in his arms, he heard shouting, screaming and gunshots.

"Hand her over! I know you have her," a familiar snide voice demands. "Seems like you bunch were somehow worth inviting! Who would have thought that I'd discover such a gem between you?"

Mihawk recognised who was talking. It was the ball holder. He speculated that he must have tailed them after the stunt she pulled off. What a favourable coincidence for him. He peeked through a window and saw two men lying face down in a pool of their own blood.

"What's happening?" she weakly asked while tugging on his shirt.

"We're getting attacked."

"Huh?!"

She squirmed out of his arms and fell onto the ground. She grunted but then she got up and limped over to the door. "Y/N!" Mihawk called but she kept walking and shoved him away when he tried to stop her.

With her gun held out, she appeared at her group's side. Tears were welling up in her eyes when she saw the two lifeless bodies. She pointed her gun at the ball holder and her finger started shaking at the touch of the trigger.

"Stop! They're after you! Get out of here quickly!" her leader shouted with a raspy voice.

"Hah, of course you aren't able to shoot me! What can a little girl like you do?" the ball holder mocked. "But it's not like I can shoot you either, I need you alive. If you don't comply soon..."

BANG

"This will happen to the rest of them."

Her widened eyes stared in horror as her leader collapsed. Drops of his blood splattered across her cheek. "AHHHH!" she let out a ghastly scream and pulled the trigger. The ball holder shrieked when the bullet knocked the pistol out of his hand. Mihawk sneaked up on him and held a sword to his neck.

"S-Sp-Spare me!"

Her gun slid out of her hands and hit the floor. She dropped on her knees, her tears finally spilt over and flowed down her face. She pleaded as she placed her right hand over her leader's wound. However, the remaining members pulled her away, uninformed and befuddled about what she was trying to achieve. All the while she kicked and screamed at them. And of course, she cried.

She cried so much.