Chapter 50 | Adventure

Nami stares through the glass of her log pose, directly looking in the direction the needle is pointed at. From afar, she could spot an island and she made sure the ship is headed towards it.

"We're almost at our next destination!" she informs the rest of the crew but as soon as she walks up to you, she notices the strange atmosphere. "What's with this serious mood?"

"Nothing to worry about now! Let's figure everything out along the way!" Luffy says and gives you a pat on the shoulder. You smile at him modestly, grateful for his encouraging words. But the truth is, you just could not quite get those self-deprecating thoughts out of your head. All the negative things you have heard about yourself seem to outweigh the positive. You never thought you would feel so insecure about your past and anxious of unravelling even darker memories.

While burrowing yourself inside your mind, the Going Merry drifts closer to the island and eventually, you are floating in a river, heading deeper into a forest. The air feels stuffy and there is a change of temperature as well. The further you go, the more humid it gets.

"So this is Little Garden..." Usopp says nervously.

"Just what about this island is little? I can't see anything that would deserve such a cute name," Nami remarks.

Suddenly, strange sounds erupt from every direction, sending the cowardly sniper jumping and shrieking around the deck. The next thing you know, a giant bird with flaming red feathers flies over the ship and a large tiger topples exhaustingly into the river. By now, a few of you already decided that this island should not be taken lightly, thus it would be better to stay on board until the log pose sets itself.

But not all of you thought that way...

"I smell an adventure!" Luffy hops around excitedly. "Sanji! Prepare a lunchbox!" When he does not receive an answer he looks around impatiently. "Where are you? Prepare me a lunchbox, Sanji!"

"I got it! Just hang on a moment." Sanji's voice appears from the kitchen all of a sudden.

You got curious about this island as well and wanted to join Luffy on exploring it. For preparations, you quickly go to the girls' room and search for the bullets which were given to you by the owner of Golden's Guns. They gave you quite a few clips of the unique rubber bullets. Thinking back, you wish you could have driven the marines away from their shop although you are not sure how you could have achieved that. The marines were quite intimidating, especially the white-haired marine captain Smoker. I hope they are alright, you think.

When you finished preparing your weapons, everyone who wanted to set foot on this island was already gone. Only Nami and Usopp are staring at each other, not knowing what they should do.

"Y/N, you're still here?" Usopp asks when he sees you sitting on the ground.

"They went without me," you mumble, a bit upset about it.

"We thought you already went ahead," Nami explains. "But it's good that you're here! You're the only one I can rely on!" She wraps her arms around you and side-glances at Usopp.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" he complains. "Though half of what you said is true, with Y/N here we are definitely saf-"

Before he could finish his sentence, the three of you simultaneously stiffened when you felt the ground vibrating. Steadily, a beat between the vibrations indicates heavy footsteps coming your way. You could feel Nami shaking beside you. Any moment from now, a vicious beast could pop up from the ominous jungle.

A tall creature made its way to the ship, pushing away sturdy trees standing in its way. When the giant revealed itself under the sunlight, Nami and Usopp let out an ear-piercing scream. Tears are running down their faces as the giant moves his face closer to you. His head is as big as a house and you bet he could swallow the entire Going Merry if he wanted to. He inches closer and closer until his gigantic mouth is only a few meters away from you.