five - like a tear down a cheek

He's at his locker, fiddling with the lock. When he opens it, a piece of paper falls out. Josh bends down to pick it up and notices an unfamiliar writing. It's messy, and kind of small but as he reads it over he realizes it's an English paper. More specifically, the paper he was supposed to hand in today but had been ripped up yesterday by those boys. It's not what he wrote but damn, it's really well written. In the corner of the paper, his name is scribbled and he smiles.

A real smile, something he hasn't felt ever. When Josh goes to his English class, he hands in the paper and the teacher thanks him. This means he wouldn't fail and his parents won't beat him till blood and tears appear.

After the day goes by, he heads home rapidly, tossing his backpack inside his house and saluting his parents for them to acknowledge he isn't stuck in detention.

"I'm going on a bike ride."

They ignore him, sometimes Josh likes to pretend that his parents care and tell him stuff like "stay safe" or "I love you!" but he knows damn well those are just dreams. He's learned to kill his dreams. He leaves, grabbing his bike and he's driving away. His pink hair is in the wind and that little moment feels priceless, so he treasures it. His earbuds are in his ears solidly and his music is strong and loud. Just the way he likes it.

Tossing his bike against the tree, he rushes to the swings and hops on, giving himself a powerful push and then he's swinging, freely and so far gone from his family. He stays there, for over an hour and now it's dark but he doesn't care. He doesn't want to go home. He brought his keys, this time, so he'll be fine.

He takes a sniff of the thin air and closes his eyes. When he opens them, he notices a body in the distance. It's walking towards him and he sees nothing but a white face glowing in the dark. When the person approaches, he notices they're wearing a mask. A white ski mask which hides their identity completely, making them faceless.