seventy six - it was the worst of times

Josh closed his eyes while a nurse pulled a tube out of his throat -- it was the only thing that kept him breathing -- and finally he could feel the air enter his lungs and inflate, under his own control. When his eyes adapted to the light once again, he saw a boy standing at the end of the bed, staring at him with big brown eyes. The eyes that he could never erase from his memory. Tyler.

When the nurses left, insuring that Josh was stable enough, they were left alone. Tyler walked forward and sat by Josh's weak arm. They were silent for a moment, no words could describe their emotions.

"Tyler?"
"Josh."
"What happened?"

Tyler took a breath.

"It's been almost 3 months since you've been in a coma. After you jumped-"

Tyler was choking on his own sobs.

"After you jumped off of the bridge, I jumped in after you and pulled you out. I tried my hardest to bring you back, the only thing I could manage was to keep you breathing. So, I took you to the hospital and I've never left your side."

Tyler was wiping the stray tears with his sweater paws from his dirty oversized t-shirt.

"What about my parents?"

Josh was shaking, he was scared.

"They're far, far away. I promise. You're safe now, it's just you and me now."

Tyler lurched forward and whispered in his ear, "I love you, Josh."

"I love you too, Tyler."

Finally, he'd said it.