twelve - sipping and spitting

Josh doesn't know whether or not he should even leave his house anymore. If it's worth it to go to the swing set. It's already so late, the boy certainly won't be there anymore. But somehow, he finds it within himself to leave his bed and go.

Tonight, he ate dinner. Spaghetti and meatballs. He ate as much as he was allowed, he learned that the hard way. When you're allowed food, fill yourself up because with this family, who the fuck knows when the next time you eat will be?

When Josh first feels the wind against his skin, he shivers. He doesn't like it, he's cold. His arms are bare but he has no choice. He doesn't have a sweater anymore. That's not stopping him, though, he's still riding down the street at full speed till he reaches the park.

Same routine as always, he leans his bike against the tree and heads to the swing. Yet this time, there's somethings different. Josh sees something hanging on the seat of his swing. When he reaches it, he picks up a sweater with a smile. He looks around, there's no one. But somehow, he knows it's from the boy in the white mask.

As he observes it, he notices the name of his school's basketball team on the back. That means that the boy goes to his school. Anyone could have known he was missing his sweater, I mean, after 3rd period, everyone was calling him "garbage boy" and laughing at him.

At least, the basketball name narrows it down to only about a hundred people. Of course, they're all the last Josh would ever think cared about him, but life is quite full of surprises sometimes.

Josh tosses it over his head and he feels butterflies in his stomach as the soft fabric rubs against his skin. Yes, he got dinner, but he also got much more bruises on his wrists so this was perfect. At least, he'd be able to hide his shame now.

He sits and swings happily on the swing, feeling a little more hopeful and somewhat less suicidal than before; if that was even possible.