forty one - kill our dreams

"What the fuck are you doing?"

"I'm eating some dinner because you know what? I'm fucking hungry."

Josh is looking directly in his father's eyes as he stuffs a piece of bread inside his mouth.

"You fucking faggot? What the hell did you just say? Don't you dare speak to your father like that."

"Oh yeah? What are you gonna about it? Fuck around with the neighbour again? That's right, mama, I fucking know what a whore you really are."

"Wait, what?! The fuck is he talking about?"

She slaps him across the face and his head is thrown to the side. He rubs his aching jaw as he looks back at her, a smirk on his face.

"You think this is fucking funny?"

She hits him again, over and over again until his face is nearly unrecognizable. He's bleeding and he's got a broken tooth and nose. His right eye is swollen shut but she doesn't give a shit. She grabs a wooden spoon from the counter top and watches him crumble down to the floor. Then, she continues to hit him, reanimating old bruises and Josh screams at the crack of his wrist.

"Get the fuck out of here! Now! I think you've got a lot of thinking to do."

Josh's father forces him up to his feet, dislocating his shoulder in the process, then opens the front him to throw him out on the porch. Josh lets out another scream when his wrist breaks as he hits the cement.

It takes a moment, but eventually he's back on his feet. He weakly starts to walk towards the swing set. He can't ride his bike and this will probably take him forever but it's worth it. If he's going to die, that's where he wants it to be. That's the only place he feels free.