eleven - stars and satellites

Tyler is standing in front of his mirror in pure horror. He knows, he knows about the bruises and the cuts and everything he desperately tries to hide himself. Yet, he watched them strip away the only sense of security Josh had. He can't do this, he can't take this away. Josh has nothing, his parents buy him nothing. 

Tyler runs to his closet and opens it. He looks through it desperately until he finds a sweater, it's gray and big. It'll fit Josh. He tosses it on and grabs his mask, slipping it over his face and then he's out the door. It's dark by the time he reaches the swings. He sits and waits, hoping Josh will show.

But to his disappointment, Josh never did. Tyler is tilting his head and staring at the empty swing beside him, it's only 7 but he needs to go. His parents will be worried and when they worry they snoop around; Tyler has too much to hide. He takes off the sweater and hangs it on the swing, hoping Josh will be around to take it. 

He slips away into the sound, running back home as fast as he can. When he finally reaches his house, he throws his mask off and sits at the dinner table. His parents are smiling as his siblings are telling their day with smiles and laughter. Tyler stares at them, remembering the words from Josh's journal. He suddenly felt lucky and grateful.

my family fucking starved me again. it's been three nights in a row they've forbidden me to eat dinner. I barely get anything more than a muffin or a granola bar, maybe an apple if I'm lucky as my breakfast. since they're always fucking arguing they don't see me. not that they ever pay attention anyway. I had some money for lunch today but those fucking guys stole it from me. great, another week without lunch.

Tyler sighs and tries to enjoy his family's company, staying almost an hour at the table with them. Just listening, he doesn't have a voice tonight.