Chapter 17

Suddenly, I'm sitting in the ambulance as something gets wrapped around my left arm. I'm no longer trembling and feel numb all over. One of them is asking questions but I can't talk and probably couldn't get any words out if I tried. I can hear everything he's saying, but it's like my body is on lockdown and I'm trapped, waiting for it to release me.  

"She's in shock." he says, looking up to the other guy.

"Hurry, we need to lie her down." the first guy says as he gently picks me up and places me on a gurney. 

"Elevate her legs." the other one replies, handing him a pillow.

"Kate, can you hear me?" the first guy asks but I can't answer him. "Hang on." he looks around as if realizing something then looks up at the house. "Is her last name, "Bassett?"'

"Holy shit." the other one whispers, placing a blanket over me. "She's Zack's sister."

"Dear God." the first guy shakes his head. "Can anything else go wrong for this family?" he whispers.

"Let's get her to the hospital. She may need a breathing treatment." 

"Agreed." he replies then looks down at me. "Kate, we're going to take good care of you. Just hang on."

PS--Hello everyone! Sorry for the shorter than usual chapter. It's summertime and my daily routine doesn't include as many hours to write with the kids at home. No worries, though, I will be adding more chapters on a regular basis (as much as I possibly can, anyway.) Thank you for your patience and support! Every single person who reads my story is extremely important to me and I appreciate your interest more than you know! <3