Chapter 104

Dominic is standing to my right and I notice his face instantly jerk in my direction but I don't dare look up at him. I don't have time to explain that I never felt that way toward Skylar.

Laughter breaks out from the Demon's mouth, "Oh, I guess that's news to your little boyfriend."

"It's not news," I spout out, trying to keep ahold of my temper, "It wasn't like that between Skylar and I."

Zull cocks his head, "Are you sure about that?" he smiles, and I shake my head, suddenly reminded of the time Skylar tried to kiss me when I was at his house. Shit, he's right. I totally forgot about that until now—and, having it revealed in front of the man I love is making it sound so much worse.

"Nothing happened!" I bite out, as Zack's hand goes to my shoulder and I know that's my cue to calm down.

"Zull, do not make this harder on yourself," Zack commands, "Tell us what the Demons want with Skylar."

Zull's black eyes flash over to Zack, "If you think you can save him it's too late," he says in a voice that sounds like there are at least two other people talking with him. "He's already gone."

My eyes dart back and forth from Zack to Dominic but before I can say anything, Zack nods his head at Dominic as if telling him to go check. Dominic rushes out of the room without a single look in my direction but I can't worry about that now. If they really do have Skylar, I'm going to completely lose my shit.

"Awe, Queen Kate, there, there," the Demon says in a condescending tone, "you would be very proud of him--he's been fully cooperative."

I have to force myself from rushing toward what used to be my Uncle John and rip him apart with my bare hands. I should have left him for dead the first time, no matter what Dominic said about my good intent. "You son-of-a-bitch!" I scream, as Zacks instantly wraps his hands around my arms, holding me back.

Zull's eyes stay glued to mine as he stretches his neck, making a sickening popping noise, "And just so you know, I didn't have to coax your sweet Aunt Kelly much. She was already half way there when I suggested she cut her other wrist," he laughs, sending vile to the back of my throat.

Zack's hands instantly tighten around my arms, stopping me from going any further, "he's deliberately trying to get to you," he whispers in my ear, "the demon knows you're the only one who can kill him—be smart about this, Katie,"

I look up into his new blue eyes and shake my head. He's right I need to stay focused.

I slowly pull my eyes away from Zack and look back to the Demon, "Zull!" I shout, "I command you to tell me where they have taken Skylar!"

Out of nowhere, Zull growls, as if he suddenly can't stand the sound of my voice so I try again, "I command you, Zull, tell me! Now!" I shout so loudly my voice cracks, only this time, I didn't say the last part in English—it was full on Latin.

The Demon starts to convulse and Uncle John's already deceased looking flesh begins to tear away from the sockets connecting his arms, spilling out a pungent odor of death. My palm immediately goes to my face as Zack steps ahead of me, "Tulit autem dic mihi, qua, Skylar!" he repeats my exact words.

"Caemeterium..." Zull finally gets out before a thick, black liquid shoots straight up from his mouth, forming into what looks like the body of giant reptile with horns and spikey hands. Zack pulls me close as the creature approaches but something happens inside me and I fight my way free, stepping closer to the Demon as I shout, "May light prevail over evil as we stand strong and rebuke against you, Demon! I banish you back to hell...forever!" I scream, understanding every word I just said in again Latin.

Suddenly, the metal door flies open and I whip my head to see Dominic running towards Zack and me, slamming our bodies down to the floor as the black liquid separates into what look like huge chucks of black rocks, swirling violently around us. Dominic crouches down even further, covering us fully with his cloak as one of the rocks pounds his back and another one slams down by his feet. Warm, copper smelling liquid drips on my hand and I instantly know it's Dominic's blood. I scream his name but he doesn't move, still protecting us from the chaos above. It feels like an eternity when suddenly everything goes quiet and the black shroud of Dominic's cloak is lifted away. As I look around, the flying rocks have thankfully disappeared and the remains of Uncle John's body are in a pile, dripping from the chair. As I slowly get up I notice Dominic sitting in a crouched position a few feet away and I quickly get to my feet, tripping on my way to him.

"Dominic! Where are you hurt?" I scream, searching his back for wounds.

"Here!" Zack beats me to it, pointing to the side of his calf, bleeding profusely with exposed bone that looks like it's definitely been broken.

"I am okay," Dominic whispers, the pain in his voice is palpable, "But I need a crystal," he looks over to my brother who already has one in his hand.

"You can thank Pastor Ezekiel," Zack says in a low voice handing it to Dominic, "it was his idea."