Chapter 57

The second I hear Dominic's voice, I nestle my tear soaked face further into his chest, taking in his intoxicating scent while his palm cups the back of my head. He's alive, somehow he's alive—and at this point, I don't care how and I don't care why. All that matters is right here, right now.

We stay wrapped in each other's arms for only seconds when I hear a voice or maybe my name and I instantly look up. All I see is the silhouette of a man walking toward us. Dominic's body stiffens as if ready to lunge but I squeeze his hand, urging him to wait a second. There's something familiar about him; something in the way he walks—

"Skylar?" I blurt out.

He stops only feet away and as my eyes adjust or maybe it's because he's simply closer, I can see his face clearer.

"H—hey Kate." he says, looking at me and then at Dominic, like he's just seen a ghost.

"What are you doing here?"

"I—uh—I thought I might find you here." he admits, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Okay—" I say, not even trying to disguise my confusion.

"I was worried about you so..." he pauses and looks down as if embarrassed. "A few days ago, I followed you here and hid behind a headstone." he glances back up. "Then, I watched you run after him into the woods." he looks at Dominic, who rises to his feet, pulling me along with him.

I stay silent and let him keep talking. I know there's more.

"You weren't answering my texts so I decided to try looking for you once more." he stops as if trying to get it straight in his mind. "You weren't at the hotel and when I got here, your Uncle John and some big dude in a hoodie approached me, asking questions about you." he turns his gaze to Uncle John who looks clueless as hell.

"Questions—about me?" I ask, slipping both hands around Dominic's arm.

"Yeah, like, if I knew where you were and when I saw you last." he says as the look of shock in his eyes shifts to concern.

"Did the demon speak?" Dominic bites out. His question was simple, but I can tell Skylar is frightened of him.

"Demon?" Skylar repeats the word and swallows.

Dominic doesn't answer but a look of realization shrouds Skylar's face, as if he's just figured out that the big guy wearing a hoodie is who he's referring to.

"Not that I can remember. He was too busy sniffing the air and giving me dirty looks."

If the situation weren't so serious, that would have made me laugh.

Dominic leans down to my side and whispers, "He knows too much!" his tone riddled with urgency.

I nod; looking back at Skylar and knowing his accidental involvement will change his life forever. I'm already starting to wonder how the hell I'm going to explain the impossible. How do you break news like that to someone so completely innocent? Someone you care about.

Aunt Kelly walks a little closer, as if wanting to hear what Dominic and I are discussing and Uncle John follows behind.

"We should go," Dominic glances at the demon, "before the stench of death is detected."

Aunt Kelly's eyes go wide, "We can't just leave him here!" she points her finger in Skylar's direction still staring at Dominic.

I already know what Dominic is thinking before he says a word.

"We're not." I answer, with more clarity than I've had in days. "He's coming with us."