Chapter 43

"What battle?" I interrupt her.

Aunt Kelly's face drops as she looks off in the distance, like she's miles away, reliving a memory, then suddenly snaps out of it and locks eyes with me.

"Do you still remember what Papa taught you?" she asks with renewed excitement. I know immediately what she's talking about but why is she changing the subject?

"Y—Yeah, I think so. Why?"

She laughs but I can tell it's because she can't believe I'm asking. "Are you kidding? He spent years teaching you how to Fence. Do you think that was a coincidence?"

Holy crap, is she saying what I think she's saying?

"Hold on!" my hand automatically rises, "You're not suggesting I can fight those, whatever those things are that the Watchman protected me from...are you?"

Her eyes go big and I quickly realize I haven't told her about that part yet. "You've already been attacked?" she whispers, her expression still shrouded in shock.

"I—I think so. I mean, I didn't see anything—I couldn't. The Watchman was covering me with his cloak. But I could hear what sounded like flying and..." I trail off because this part is ridiculous, even to me.

"Go on." Aunt Kelly insists.

"I know it sounds crazy, but..." I pause because she interrupts me.

"Fire. You heard fire, didn't you?" she says, nodding her head.

Jesus, how does she know all this?

"Yes." I reply as I watch her scoot back from her chair and walk to the window. She stands, looking out as if in a sudden daydream.

"Are you okay?" I ask, hoping she's not going to lay another bombshell on me but she continues to stare. It feels like a full ten minutes go by before she turns to look at me again.

"It was an Earth Demon." she deadpans and instantly my stomach knots up. "How badly was he hurt?" she asks and I immediately know she's talking about the Watchman.

"Pretty badly. I mean, his back was ripped to shreds and then out of no where, Zack came to help." I look up and can tell by her expression she wants me to continue. "He helped the Watchman walk a few steps before telling him to, "take a crystal." I air-quote the last three words.

"Wait, do you know if this Watchman has taken any other crystals?"

"Yeah, the first time I followed him. It became stormy almost instantly and he was hurt somehow. Again, he had me in his cloak so I don't know what or how it happened."

"No, that's okay. I'm just..." she trails off like she's trying to think. "That means he has six crystals left."

"I don't understand. Why are these crystals so important?" I ask, trying once again to keep the pins and needles from poking around in my gut.

"Kate, those are healing crystals. They're extremely rare so if this Watchman dude has them, he's earned them.

"Healing? Like, bringing him back to life?" I ask.

"No, they can't quite do that. Only a Seraph Master can bring life back. And even then, only once. And you should probably call him by his rightful title." she says.

"Rightful title?" I repeat.

"Yes, he's a Seraph Warrior."

"Okay, but Zack just calls him Dominic."