Chapter 42

Aunt Kelly smiles and her eyes well up again like she just gave me good news. She reaches for another tissue from the box and suddenly I realize I'm just staring at her. I don't even know what to say or hell, what to think. This is seriously messed up. She can't actually believe such nonsense—I mean, its damn near laughable. But I have to do something. I can't let her continue believing this without some kind of intervention. Clearly, she needs my help. I should probably get more information out of her—like something I can use to snap her out of her mental breakdown.

"Okay, first of all, what the hell is a Seraph? And, if you actually believe any of this is really happening, how the hell did I not know about it?"

Her face drops like she knows I'm not buying it and I'm quickly overcome by guilt. Which is pretty much my standard response whenever I disappoint or hurt anyone close to me. So I try to back peddle...

"I mean, I know you believe it, Aunt Kelly..."

"Just stop, Kate." she interrupts me with a serious look on her face. "And listen to me very carefully. That necklace you're wearing is proof that your brother, my nephew, is no longer in a coffin. If you can accept that he's actually alive, especially since you've chatted with him more than once, then why the hell can't you believe what I'm trying to tell you?"

Shit. She's got a point.

"Okay, say I believe you. And everything you've been telling me is real. That still doesn't explain how I could have gone my whole life without knowing. I mean, wouldn't I feel different if I'm supposed to be, I don't know, different?"

"You didn't know because we, meaning, all of us—your mom, your dad, even Zack, thought it was over. Like it was in dormancy somehow." she pauses and looks away before locking eyes with me again. "That is until now. And, you're not necessarily different, you just have abilities you haven't tapped into yet."

"Wait, what kind of abilities? I ask, hoping I'm not going to turn into some kind of freak monster.

"I don't know, honey, Zack didn't know his abilities either. But now...now that he's back..." she bites one side of her lip. "I'm pretty sure he's a Seraph Master."

"Master, yes, I've heard the Watchman call him that!"

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

"Watchman?" Aunt Kelly repeats me.

"Yeah, he was always at the cemetery when I was there to visit Zack's grave. Then, one day I followed him as he was leaving and that's when I eventually found Zack."

She tilts her head as if thinking then says, "Was he wearing a black cloak?" she asks.

"Yes!" I answer, happy to finally be talking to someone about this.

She takes in a deep breath before letting it out and whispers, "Then that means the battle has already begun..."