Chapter 77

What just happened?

I'm breathing like I just ran a marathon and it takes me only a second to realize that Dominic just ran after Victoria, my Follower. The girl I've been insanely jealous over since I saw her standing outside my bedroom door.

What is it between them? And what else has he not told me?

My mind is racing and without thinking, I begin rubbing my hands together as I pace back and forth, wondering if he's coming back or if I'm going to have to face the council on my own.

Catching my reflection in the mirror, it's like I'm looking at a completely different person. Physically, I've changed into a woman and there's no question I've gained confidence but if I'm being honest, mentally I'm still a scared teenager who doubts herself and everyone around her. And why shouldn't I? Nobody ever gives me a straight answer about anything and now, I'm seriously about to lose my shit.

Out of nowhere, a slow creak coming from the slightly open door jars me out of my thoughts and I see Zack closing it behind him. "We need to talk." he says, walking past me with a look of intense concentration.

"Where's Dominic?!" I yell without thinking, and I know he can see the rage behind my eyes.

"He will be here shortly." he pauses, looking at me with his new blue eyes. "It's important to stay calm, Katie."

"Calm? You tell me to stay calm when I wake up to a woman I don't even know, rearranging my bedroom like she owns the place?" I catch my breath, "Only to go on and tell me she's been a Follower for this place for seventy-three years?"

"It's not that simple." he interrupts.

"It never is, Zack!" I shout. "But it doesn't even matter right now because you need to tell me what she thought I knew and why she ran out when Dominic barged in." I pause, squinting my eyes, "Or I swear to you, I will not leave this room and that little council of yours can go straight to hell."

Zack's eyes close for a second on my last word and he takes my arm, guiding me to one of the wingback chairs in front of the fireplace. "Sit." he whispers, taking a seat across from me. "This information should be coming from your betrothed but under the circumstances, I will answer your questions." he says, swallowing like it's difficult to get the words out. "First things first, it's true. Victoria has been with us for a while."

I tilt my head, trying my best to refrain from talking.

"Like you, she is..." he stops as I hang on his every word. "Immortal." he finally gets out but I only hear one word.

"Immortal." I repeat. "Like, she can't be killed?"

He chuckles under his breath like I said something funny. "Well, there are a couple of ways we, as immortals can die, but essentially, yes." he answers.

"Wait, you said, 'we' so that means." I pause, taking in what he just said. "I am too?"

Zack nods and the prickly needles are instantly back, poking around at my stomach.

Holy shit.

"Your transition." he chimes in, as if realizing I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this new information. "Is when it happened."

"Wait, are you telling me that that's why Dominic was so upset with Victoria? Because he's the one who's supposed to tell me?"

"Yes." he admits.

"But, she didn't." I say, wondering why I'm now defending her.

"She almost did, and Dominic picked up on that." Zack admits. "We have rules to abide by." he says, looking down as he takes in a deep breath, like he already knows what my next question will be. "Dominic and Victoria have a unique connection," he looks up, locking eyes with me. "But the rest of their story will have to come from him."

"Zack..." I say in a warning tone and his hands immediately go up.

"Katie, I—I'm serious," his shakes his head, "It is not my place."