Chapter 24

"What do you mean, he's come for me?" I spit out.

The Watchman turns around and kneels to pick something up then faces me and takes three long strides in my direction. He reaches out and without thinking, I open the palm of my hand, allowing him to drop what feels like cool metal of a chain or maybe a necklace. The second I glance down I know exactly what it is and my heart beats faster at my instant recognition. It's the gold necklace my Aunt Kelly gave Zack, commemorating his firefighter's graduation. He wore it every day of his life and I know without a shadow of a doubt he was wearing it the day we buried him. Suddenly, I'm slammed with a flood of emotions and I barely notice that my entire body is shaking.

"Where did you get this?" I ask as tears stream down my cheeks.

"You must trust me." he says.

"Trust you? Are you insane? You stole my brother's necklace off his dead body and you want me to trust you?" I shout as the heavy echo of my shaky voice catches up a second later.

The Watchman's eyes go from a greenish yellow to a deep red when he jerks his body several steps away from me. Almost like he had to stop himself from hurting me. I flinch and back up against the rocky cave wall, my fingers practically digging into the flesh of my palm as I grasp Zack's necklace with all I have. I don't care what he does to me, there's no way he is ever going to take it away from our family again.

"Kate." a familiar voice suddenly comes out of nowhere. Instantly I'm sobbing all over again because I know who called my name. 

"Zack?" I get out as my eyes frantically scan the cave.

A flash of brilliant light illuminates the dim cave, making me squint and cover my eyes but just as soon as it appears it's gone again. Seconds later my eyes adjust and I see something. A figure of someone in the same kind of cloak as the Watchman standing only feet away. 

"Yes." he answers and before I know what I'm doing, I rush to him, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck. 

"Zack!" I whisper between sobs as I feel his arms pulling me closer. A distant fluttering of wings clips my attention but I don't care. 

My brother is alive and that's all that matters right now...