Chapter 76

Lifting my arms, I allow the gown to slip down my body and incredibly, it fits like a glove. Victoria immediately takes my arm and guides me to the full-length mirror on the inside of the armoire door. Without realizing it, my eyes go wide when I see my reflection--the silk and satin, sleeveless, gown is beyond stunning with scrolled gold and silver beading coming to a point at the center of my chest. I'm taken aback and barely notice the fact that there's hardly a need to fix my hair or apply any makeup. Because of my transition, those things are almost entirely done.

"Oh, your highness," she gives me a curtsy, "You're absolutely breathtaking." The adorning look on her face suddenly makes me feel like crap for thinking the worst about her.

"Thank you, " I say, wondering if we got off on the wrong foot.

Her eyes light up at my words, like she's relieved the tension is no longer hanging over us. Maybe I'm wrong about her? Maybe I need to relax? I'm bad about judging people before they even have a chance to get close to me. I should probably work on that.

But there's still a lingering question about her I need to know. What is her connection with Dominic? And do they still have one? This might be a good time to ask a few questions.

Taking a deep breath, I try to hide the fact that I'm almost too nervous to ask. "So, how long have you served as a Follower?" I get out, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

She immediately stops searching for the perfect earrings to match my dress and looks at me as if I've surprised her, "Oh, um—let me see," her eyes go up like she's calculating something, "Seventy-three years."

Wait, what?

I'm at a loss for words because now I'm clearly the one who's surprised. Floored is more like it. Did she really just say, seventy-three? Years?

"I don't—wait that's impossible," I stumble through my thoughts, "You're just messing with me right?" I manage to smile even though this isn't the least bit humorous. "I mean, you can't be much older than me."

She tilts her head and gets a funny look on her face like she's starting to realize something. "They haven't told you," she pauses, "Have they?" her eyes narrow slightly.

"Told me what?" I ask, pushing back the vile that's starting to creep up my throat.

"Dominic will be here soon," she says, "It will be better coming from him."

Holy hell, maybe I was wrong about her? Maybe there really is something between them?

Blood is already rushing to my face before I can gather my thoughts and suddenly; I don't care what I say or who I offend. "Tell me now!" I shout at her, completely letting go of my emotions.

Out of nowhere, I hear three loud knocks and my head whips towards the door. As if on cue, I watch Dominic rush in the room with an urgent look on his face and I can instantly tell he's furious.

"Victoria!" he shouts. "Leave us!"

Her eyes go up to him; the hurt behind them is palpable as she quickly runs out, shutting the door quietly, like she's somehow defeated.

"What did she tell you?!" Dominic shouts, as if he's mad at me too.

"Nothing!" I shout back, getting angrier by the second at his tone. "She told me it would be better coming from you!"

His face changes like he's hearing a totally different story than what he assumed and without warning, he turns around and storms out the door.