Chapter 46

"Marked?" I repeat, cocking my head. "What does that mean—exactly?"

The Watchman pulls his hands together, raising them to his face as if he's tortured by his own guilt. The prickly sensation is back, poking around in my gut and if I didn't know any better, it's almost like I'm feeling his torment, too.

"It means I have claimed you." he pauses. "For myself." he answers, gazing into my eyes with a new intensity.

"Claimed me?" I repeat him again because I'm not seeing a problem here. "Makes sense, I mean, Zack said you're my protector..."

"Not that kind of protector!" he interrupts me and the needles begin to prick a little harder. My hand goes immediately to my abdomen and I can tell he noticed and is bothered by it.

"Then what? What the hell are you saying?" I ask, matching the volume of his voice as it echoes throughout the cave.

"I have chosen you." he says, as frustration washes over his features.

"Okay, I get that..."

"For my mate!" he shouts, pulling me close as if to soften the blow of his harsh tone.

Oh shit. I wasn't expecting this—and I'm pretty sure he knows it.

I can't deny that I'm not exactly hating the idea but I still don't really know who he is or hell, what he is.

"Say something." he whispers, still holding me tightly to his chest. "Please."

The desperation in his voice hits me like a crashing wave and I already regret how clueless I've been. Instantly, it feels like hundreds of questions are slamming into my head at once. So many that it's hard to know which ones to ask first. But there's something I need get out before anything else. Something he needs to explain.

He's still holding me and I slowly lift my head and look up into the eyes of an incredibly handsome, crazy-desirable young man...

"I—I hardly know you." I finally get out. "How could you feel so much for me—so quickly?" I ask, trying to keep firm eye contact as I wait for him to answer.

He closes his eyes but he doesn't let go and a few seconds later the words I can't believe he's saying are coming out of his mouth...

"I have been your Watchman since before you began fencing with your grandfather." he says then swallows and keeps going. "He knew even back then that the Seraphian battles were inevitable; he just did not know who would be chosen." The corners of his eyes bunch up and for the first time, I actually see his face brighten up into a slight smile.

"Me?" I whisper, still holding his gaze.

"You." He confirms.

"Chosen for what?" I ask.

"You are the chosen sovereign." he simply says.

"Huh?" I giggle because even in my head it sounds ridiculous. "What do you mean... like a Queen or something?"

He nods and when my eyes go wide I can actually see him smile even more than before.

"And please, Kate. Call me Dominic."