Chapter 67

Uncle John's eyes go wide and he takes in a sarcastic quick breath, like he's suddenly scared to death. "Ah, how adorable that you think I actually give a shit what  you do to this body." he laughs. "I mean let's face it, your Uncle John probably deserves it, don't you think?  All those late nights he came into your room, staggering from too many cheap beers." he tilts his head like he's enjoying himself. "Seriously, I don't know how you managed to stop him every single time." he pauses, as if he's calculating how much I can take. "And, thank the good man above that you did..." he tosses his head back and smiles, "Because wouldn't it have been a horrible shame if he'd gotten you pregnant but couldn't knock up his own wife."

"You son of a bitch!" I shout, scrambling toward him as I throw my arm back to punch his face. Dominic instantly reacts, pulling me back and keeping his arms securely around my upper body like I'm some kind of attack dog.

"You must control your anger." He whispers in my ear but I barely hear him over my own heavy breathing. I yank myself from his grip and look back to Uncle John who looks thoroughly entertained.

"What? Too much?" his grins.

Holy shit... if I could kill him with my own bare hands right now, I'd do it.

Dominic tried to warn me, even tried to tell me I wasn't ready—but I didn't want to listen. I thought I could handle it. And here I stand, totally prepared to murder my Aunt's husband.

He leans down, close to my ear and whispers, "I can finish this." as if he knows I'm questioning what the hell I've done. But none of it matters right now and I look up into his yellow-brown eyes, making the split-decision to stay. I have to see this through because apparently, I have to learn the hard way. It's how I've learned everything else in my life...why stop now?

"I'm good." I whisper back, trying to calm my breath as I catch him shake his head. I know he wants to handle this and would rather I not be here, but I can't leave. I need answers—if nothing else, for Aunt Kelly.

Dominic releases me and I turn to look at Uncle John who still has a douchey smirk draped over his face but this time, I pretend he's someone else. Not the uncle I'm unfortunately related to.

"Who are you and why are you doing this to my uncle?" I ask, in a low, calm voice.

The Demon lowers his head just a tad but keeps his eyes on me. "Your Uncle John and I have been acquainted for quite some time, now." he says.

"Okay." I clip back. "But why?"

"You know why, Queen Kate." he sing-songs the last two words.

"No, I don't." I admit, trying to keep my cool. "Why don't you enlighten me?"

The demon closes his eyes and rolls his head around on his neck, like he's trying to keep it from getting stiff and says, "He needed our help."

"What? Why?" I get out, wishing he'd stop jacking around.

"Why don't you ask him?" he says, as if daring me to do it. "He's here, you know. Watching us. Listening to everything we're saying."

"Let him go, first!" I say, raising my voice louder than intended. I've never liked Uncle John, but I can't stomach Aunt Kelly's reaction if anything else happens to him. Especially if I have something to do with it.

"Nah, I like it here...but don't you worry your pretty little head." he says, mocking me with his words. "He's not gonna last much longer with me around..."