Chapter 88

Dominic chuckles under his breath, "Not so fast," he squeezes my hand, "we are expected at dinner."

I tilt my head because this is something new, "Wait, we're not having it in here?"

"No, not this time—I would like you to meet someone," his face gets serious again, "Someone I am sure will have questions about Skylar."

"Okay, but I'm not sure how much I can eat."

"You must learn to ignore your concerns and try. You will need to keep up your strength," he says, letting go of my hands as he walks toward the door, "Victoria will assist you," she suddenly walks in, "And I will meet you outside the banquet hall in fifteen minutes."

What the hell? Was she standing outside listening for her cue or something?

"I know just the thing..." she walks over to the armoire, pulling out a gold, beaded gown with embroidered flowers cascading down one side, "Yes, I think this will do nicely."

I look over to Dominic who's already headed out the door but he glances back and our eyes catch as he gives me a smile before walking out.

I think he actually enjoyed that.

"Your Majesty?" Victoria says behind me, startling me out of my thoughts, "we do not have much time."

I turn around and she's holding up the gown and I have to admit, it's stunning. "Yes, of course, thank you." I say, holding my arms up as she slips the dress down my frame. I know there's no reason to be upset with her or her connection with Dominic. He doesn't see her in that way although, I have to admit--I am a little envious of their long history together.

"And here you are," Victoria shows me two incredible diamond, tear-drop earrings, "These will go perfectly."

I take them from her hand and she smiles up at me since I'm even taller in my four-inch heels. "You look amazing, your Highness." Her facial expression drips with sincerity. She means it, and I can instantly feel my mental wall crumbling down, little by little.

She then pulls out a chair at the vanity table, performing a quick touch up of my makeup and brushing a few times through my long, wavy hair before practically pushing me out the door, "Okay, let's go find Dominic," she takes my hand, placing it through her arm.

The second we leave the room I see people everywhere, scattered along the hallway or in groups as if they are waiting for me to make an appearance. Their bodies immediately kneel down to the floor and I'm still not used to it as I walk by and nod in acknowledgement. Thankfully, it doesn't take long before I see the familiar cloak, or actually, the man standing in it just outside another set of beautifully carved double doors. Instantly, he turns around and I see him take in a breath and bow as I approach.

"Your Majesty," he says in a low, almost seductive voice and if I could jump him right here I would. He rises, extending his left arm and I take it, trying to hide my arousal. "You are a vision," he whispers, placing his hand over mine, "Are you ready?"

I look up into his eyes and I'm instantly comforted by them—as if they're emitting some kind of reassurance as we walk together in the room and every single person stands at once.

Holy shit, there's gotta be at least fifty people at this table...

Dominic guides me to the middle in front of the only high back chair when out of nowhere, someone from behind us pulls it out and I look up at Dominic. He gives me a quick nod before I take a seat and he follows by sitting in the chair next to me. Looking around the table I notice already filled wine glasses and bread at each setting, and if I could will the wine to be directly inserted into my vein, I would.

"Thank you for joining us," Dominic says, turning his head to the left and then again to the right, before looking back at me, "Your Majesty," he glances at a man directly across from us, "Allow me to introduce, Seraph Warrior, Gideon."