Chapter 59

Somehow I knew Zack was right even before the words came out of his mouth. And somehow, I hadn't noticed until this very moment. My confidence, or maybe my newfound independence, has tripled over the past couple of days. I can actually feel a change in myself. It's as if the world has become alive, more colorful, and my senses have been magnified.

"Yeah." I say, grinning back at him. "I do—I think I do believe you."

"Good, because we still need to talk about the Demon attack." Zack says, looking straight at Uncle John.

Uncle John perks up as if suddenly paying attention. "Look, I didn't know he was a Demon." He says defensively, darting his eyes around to each of us.

"That might be true." Zack pauses. "But you were taking money from him—right?" Zack asks.

Aunt Kelly's eyes go wide. "Wait. He gave you money? Why?"

I watch Uncle John's Adam's apple rise as he swallows but it's as if he's too scared to answer her question.

"You want me to tell her?" Zack says, "Or would you like to tell us all the truth?"

Aunt Kelly's expression instantly changes from worry to extreme disappointment. It's as if she's preparing herself for more devastating news. Uncle John glances at her and looks down, squeezing his eyes shut as his fingers rub against his forehead.

"I—I needed it to pay someone back." he admits.

"Dammit, John! Your fucking gambling almost got us all killed!" she stops, the rage in her eyes almost palpable. "Do you realize if Kate hadn't been there, Dominic would be dead right now!?"

"That's just it." Zack chimes in. "The Demon." he pauses and looks at me. "Was after, you, Kate."

"So, wait, Uncle John led him to me?" I ask.

"Hold on." Uncle John's hand goes up. "I don't remember anything after meeting Malum in the hotel parking lot. I don't even know how I got to the cemetery—I swear."

"The Demon influenced you." Zack says. "You were under his control by then."

"Well, that explains his black eyes." I say, looking over at him and watching his scared expression immediately change to confusion.

"We can work out the details later, but for now, we need a plan." Zack says, rubbing his hands together.

"The knife." Aunt Kelly interrupts. "I—I think I'm the one who got it away from you." she stares at Uncle John.

"What knife?" he asks, tilting his head.

Aunt Kelly takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. "The one you had around Kate's throat, you son of a bitch!" she shouted, her voice full of fury.

"I swear to God, honey, I didn't know!" Uncle John pleads to his wife but she looks away as if disgusted by the sight of him.

"It doesn't matter now." Aunt Kelly whispers as a tear drops down her cheek. "When we get home, I'm—filing..." she shakes her head as if struggling to say it out loud. "It's over."

Uncle John's face goes white and he rushes to take her hand but she instantly jerks away.

"Please don't, baby. Please don't do this..." his voice dripping with anguish and if he were anyone else I'd actually feel sorry for him. But I don't. I can't forgive him for treating Aunt Kelly like shit for years and trying to make up for it with seven little words.

"I hate to break the news but..." Zack's voice soaks up the dreadful awkwardness. "No one's going anywhere. At least for now. It isn't safe for any of you and we have to do everything we can to keep it that way."

"Um, that's impossible." Skylar interrupts. "I—I have school tomorrow! And Thanksgiving is in two days!" he blurts out.

Zack looks over at Dominic and he nods, as if communicating with him subliminally. He walks over to the crystals, picking one up and hands it to Skylar. "Take this and squeeze it in your hand."

Skylar looks up at Dominic as his fingers fold around the crystal, not questioning the instructions. His knuckles go white, gripping the cloudy, pointy rock and almost instantly, a flash completely illuminates the cave. I have to quickly cover my eyes from the blinding light when suddenly, it dissipates and I cautiously open my eyes. Waiting for my vision to adjust to the darkness, a few seconds later I'm able to see better and immediately scan around--but he's nowhere in site.

"Skylar?!" I yell for him, realizing how frantic I must sound.

"He's okay." Zack says, walking  over to me as he takes my hand. "I sent him home. He won't remember a thing."