Chapter 25

I'm holding on to Zack so tightly I barely realize he's already let go. I reluctantly pull back to study him, because it's hard to believe he's standing right in front of me, but something is off. The shape of his face is different or maybe it's his hair. I squint, hoping it will help me focus a little better but it's difficult--the light in here is dim as hell. But then I see it when we lock eyes. His eyes are no longer a deep shade of brown, but a luminescent hue of cobalt blue. It's as if they're somehow backlit.

Holy shit.

Had I not heard his voice before I saw his face, I'm not sure I would have recognized him.

"What happened to your eyes?" I blurt out. He looks over to the Watchman then back to me.

"Everything will be explained to you but right now, you must listen to me." he answers, confusing me even more.

"Wait, what in the hell is going on, Zack? How are you alive?"

"Katie." he says in a calming whisper and instantly my stupid tears are back. He's the only person in the world who calls me that. "I have sent Dominic to protect you."

I glance back at the Watchman who remains expressionless then jerk my face back to Zack. His crazy-beautiful eyes distract my thoughts for a second before I remember what I wanted to say.

"I don't need protection. I'm fine..." I insist, about to ask another question before he interrupts.

"Actually, you do. Trust me." he pauses and takes my hand. It's cool to the touch, making me question if he's even real.

"Why is everyone saying I need to trust them? For what? Is there gonna be some kind of zombie apocalypse or something?" I don't even try to disguise my frustration or my sarcasm.

"I have to go." he says then looks past me. "Dominic, take her back."

"Wait, no!" I shout. "You can't leave!"

I look back as the Watchman begins walking toward me like Zack is his commander or something. Without hesitation he drapes his cloaked arms around me, cocooning me like before and this time, I can actually feel wings fluttering as they shape around my body. I try to wiggle and scream out to my brother but it's too late. It's as if I'm frozen in place and can't move. There's no sound, not even wind and I'm completely surrounded by blackness.

Suddenly, it feels like I'm floating or maybe flying, it's hard to tell but as soon as I try to scream again everything fades away...