The Barrier

Frisk's P.O.V.
       I got to know Asgore a lot more than anyone else. His favorite tea, favorite flowers, how he and Toriel were so in love back then...it was nice to talk to him.
       I also got to talk to Toriel a little bit too. Yet I knew her favorite sweets to bake, favorite book topics, and other things like that. I felt like both Asgore and Toriel were the parents I've always wanted.
       "Like always, parties are boring..." Undyne groaned. She, Papyrus, Sans, and Alphys walked near Asgore, Toriel, and I.
       "But hey, I hardly know you!" Undyne said as she patted me on the back. "How was your life on the surface? What was it like on the surface? Give me the juicy details!"
(A/N: play video at top if you want)
       I stayed silent for a moment before laughing...nervously. MY experience on the surface wasn't the best...but again that was just me.
       "W-Well...I-I didn't really...enjoy t-the life I had..." I answered, stuttering here and there. "M-My parents...were not the best...p-people. Others considered m-me as a runt...m-mistake...and all of that shit, heh..."
       Everyone stayed silent. I clutched onto my tail, worried that they might've thought that same way. I looked away, biting my lip.
       "Humans were cruel to you, is that correct?" Asgore asked, putting a hand on my shoulder. I nodded a little before nervously scratching my ear.
       "Then what was the point of gathering all of those god damn souls?!" Undyne asked, getting outraged at my response. "If humans were terrible to begin with, why are we trying to get back up there?"
       "Asgore's reason was to get vengeance on...A-Asriel..." Toriel stepped in, her hands fidgeting. "So gathering those souls was the only way to break the barrier."
       "W-What happened to 'Asriel?' I-IF you don't mind me asking, that is..." I asked, squeezing my tail a little harder.
       Both Asgore and Toriel stayed silent. They seemed upset. I covered my mouth, thinking I pulled up a sensitive topic.
       I felt...terrible. "O-Oh God! I-I'm sorry! I-I was just--"
       "No, no...it's fine, my child..." Toriel interrupted. "You didn't know, so you had every right to be curious. A-Asriel...was our son. The humans killed him one night. Asgore swore that we'd get vengeance for him...in the wrong way!"
       Toriel flicked Asgore on the head. Asgore muttered a soft "ow" before turning back to me.
       "We needed seven human souls to break the barrier. So far, we have six," Asgore explained, rubbing his head where Toriel injured it. "But...I don't want to go up there for vengeance anymore. It would be nice to see those beautiful flowers they have."
       "I heard there was a gym to join up there! That sounds fun!" Undyne pitched in, raising a fist into the air.
       "I-I-I heard t-there w-was a NASA u-u-up t-there!" Alphys pitched in with Undyne. They both seemed excited.
       "UNDYNE TOLD ME THERE WAS COOKERY CAREERS! EVERYONE WOULD LOVE MY SPAGHETTI!" Papyrus pitched in as well. He put both hands on his hips.
       "I've always wanted to see the stars. Sure, there's some down here but...REAL stars. Ya know?" Sans said, almost as if he was daydreaming.
       "Heh...you guys really would like to go on the surface, wouldn't you?" I asked, smirking. They all nodded frantically.
       "For that to work, we'd need your soul..." Undyne said, putting her fist down. I nodded and looked down at my feet.
       "...You guys really want to go up there...I understand," I laughed a little. "There's a bunch of things to do up there. Cooking, talk shows, gym teacher...everything. You can have multiple careers for your personality."
       "They have MORE than one job that fits my personality?!" Undyne squealed. I chuckled.
       "It's called a 'career cluster,' Undyne. But yes, you can have many careers..." I answered. I sighed.
       "A-And one of you wants to see the stars..." I mumbled. I felt a little bad for Sans, to be honest. There were no REAL stars down here...and the ones up there are more beautiful and breathtaking.
       "You have six, yet you need seven..." I repeated. Everyone stayed silent, almost as if they knew where I was going with this.
       "Frisk...don't tell me you're really gonna do that..." Sans said, worry filling his tone. I sighed again.

       "I want to break the barrier for you guys."