Bright Lights In the Big City

The next day, I couldn't wait until I got to be alone, or as alone as normal, with Chris. In Biology, we passed notes, which was practically a tradition at this point. 

I slid one across the table that said "So... Friday"

"Friday." he wrote, avoiding the unsaid question, after giving it back to me. 

I rolled my eyes and wrote "Whatcha wanna do?" 

He said "I've got an idea. So just text me and I'll tell you Friday. Think you can get away from it? "

"What are we doing?" I said back. 

"It's a surprise." he scrawled. 

"Tell me." I whispered, leaning over and bumping my shoulder against his.

"No." he said, looking jokingly offended.

"Tell me!"

"No!" he said, laughing. 

Throughout all of the class, and for the rest of the week, I begged him to tell me what we were doing but he kept refusing with a smug smile. After long, long, long last, I went home on Friday night. Chris said he would text me and we could meet by seven. I just wish I knew if this was a date or not. I mean, Chris had flirted with me before, I thought, but he wasn't very clear on his signals. Whatever, I would dress flawlessly anyways. 

It was 5:00 now and I sat at home, focused on my phone. He said he would text around 5:00 so I eagerly waited in my bedroom, and I even blocked the door with a chair so I could make sure that nobody could come in. My phone buzzed in my hand and I read the text "See you at 7. Meet you outside your house."  

I smiled at once.  It had been a week but I couldn't forget the way he swung on  the swings next to me, smiling. Now, my next step was to get the others out of the house so they wouldn't know I was gone. First I found Blake. 

"Hey Blake." I said, trying to act natural. He nodded in response and I said "Did you think about my idea?" 

"Of me and Aubrey going out?" he asked. I nodded 100 times and he smiled. 

"Yes, I'm taking her out now actually." He tried to contain his excitement and he grabbed his keys from the rack on the wall. 

I followed him to the door saying "Great!" and he said "Oh! Dakota! Can you tell Dylan that he's watching all of you tonight?" I nodded and he said, like I was three, "And, remember, who's in charge?" 

I said "DYLAN!" immediately. He looked confused "Well, that was easy." he said.

"Yep!" I answered, trying to shove him out the door.

He looked suspiciously at me, trying to see what my secret was, but Aubrey's car pulled up so he nodded a bye and left. 

Part Two. I ran to Dylan's room.

I knocked on the door and bounced on the toes of my feet. He said "What do you want Dakota?" He must've known my knock, very much like the Frozen one.  I called "Can I come in pleeeease?" He grunted "Ugh, Fine." and I ran inside. He was working out again.

I went over to him and said"Heyyyyyyy." He looked annoyed and said "What do you want?" 

 "So, Taylor was telling me she wanted to go out with you again soon."  I said with a fake smile. He flexed out his arm and cockily said "Oh yeah?" I internally rolled my eyes. This lie was too easy because it matched his ego so well. "Yeah, and so I was thinking maybe you guys could go out tonight? "

He said "Well, it would be fun. And  I guess Blake could watch you all, right?  So... Could you tell him for me?" He said "I'm going to go change." I waited outside his bedroom till he came out in a collared shirt with his hair brushed and all. I said "Classy." and he shoved me away and towards the wall. He said "Glad you're okay with Taylor now, Kota."