Progress

The next day, school inched along slowly until I got to math. In English we spent time reading and talking about The Scarlet Letter, which I loved. Then in Art, we learned about different colors to paint with, which bored me to tears. In math, like always, Chris sat besides me, and like always, I couldn't focus on the math. I did my best to watch as the teacher turned off the lights and started the projector. He then wrote a series of equations down we were supposed to memorize. I copied them down but halfway through writing I felt a gaze on me. I turned to see Chris, tilting his head sideways and watching me with a small smile on his face. 

"Are you watching me?" I whispered to him, slightly teasing with a raised eyebrow. 

He smirked and whispered back "Wow, you're so full of yourself. I was looking at Dylan obviously." 

I turned around to see Dylan, sleeping, with his head flopped over the back of the seat. 

I turned back to him with an eye roll and Chris winked. 

I turned back to the front and kept scribbling furiously. Chris kept staring.

Finally the class ended and I poked my pencil into Dylan's side. He suddenly gave a huge jerk and woke up. He looked around and said "Huhh?" I pointed to the clock annoyed and gathered my stuff up. 

He said "Oh." and stood up to go. He left the room and Chris gave him a nod, allowing him to leave alone. 

Dylan nodded in my direction once and I turned to Chris. He held out a hand and I grabbed it gratefully. We left the classroom as the bell went off for a final time and wandered over to the cafeteria. After getting food, we split apart so he could find Taylor and Dylan and I could find my friends. I loved the fact that he stayed with me even though it was only for a second. I saw them under our favorite tree so I curled up on the grass and said "Hey, how's it going?"

Reilly said "Great, actually! Guess what we heard?" 

"What?" I asked, looking around.

Reilly's friend Samantha squealed "The soccer try outs are the week after next, on Monday!" 

"Really? But it's so early in the year!" I gasped, sitting up straight. 

"Well," Penelope confirmed. "Apparently there's a new coach that would like to start training now!"

"Great!" I said excitedly. I needed to make it on this team. Soccer was my life.

"Want to come over to practice before tryouts?" I asked, looking around. 

Sam and Reilly said "Definitely!" and Penelope hesitated and said "I'm not going to... try-out, I mean." 

"Why?" I asked with a frown. 

"I hate soccer and I suck at it." she said with a self-deprecating smile. 

"Ok, you don't have to." I pouted.

"Don't worry. I'll be there to cheer you guys on for every game!" she said. 

"If we get in.." Samantha said nervously looking down. 

"Don't worry about it yet." I said, smiling confidently. 

"And football seasons starting soon officially too. Chris playing?" Reilly asked, changing the subject. 

"I hope so. I'd love to see him in that uniform." I admitted, biting my lip. Penelope and Samantha laughed.

"Too bad Nick's not trying out."  Reilly said, puffing out her lower lip.

I shoved her and she leaned with a laugh. 

"He's in every play so you have that." I said rolling my eyes. She smiled and said "True."