Workin it all out

The next day we went to school I was grateful to see Chris after a long weekend apart. The second Blake dropped us off I hopped out of the car and searched for him. He was waiting by the lockers, a distance away, but it was easy to see him because of that startling smile and those eyes. His blue eyes caught me from far away and I was pulled along by an inner force. I floated in the ocean of his eyes over to him until I felt a hand grab my backpack and pull me back to reality. Dylan turned me to him and said "Guess what? Tonight, Taylor is free to hang out with you so the guys and I are going out and she'll watch you!"

"Score." I said, spinning back around to find Chris. He flipped me back. 

"Meet at her car after school. It'll be here." he said.

"Oh, we're going right after school." Dylan said. "So, she'll drive you home and heres a key."

"Alright." I said, accepting the key, and trying to turn back to Chris. Dylan followed my line of sight and said "Wow. You care more about your boyfriend than me." I knew he was joking but I said "Shut up, he's not my boyfriend!" Even though I wasn't exactly that clear on the subject.

He smiled and said "Whaaaatever. Please be nice tonight Kota!" 

"Sure, sure." I said agreeably, trying to end this conversation. 

I walked away and waved. He just walked off to meet his other friends. Finally, peace. I rushed over to Chris, faster than was casual, and said "Hi!" I breathed in deeply in excitement and he breathed out a cool "Hi." Then, with no warning, he leaned down and pressed his lips against mine. His lips softly brushed mine but despite the immediate intense heat, the actual kiss lasted only a few seconds. 

"How are you?" I asked, looking into his eyes. Suddenly, I noticed a disturbance beside us. I saw that a small crowd had formed and was watching us kiss. I felt myself blush and my face felt hot. Chris caught my expression and stepped in front of me and said "Nothing to see here." 

But then I saw that there was. Luke was standing at his locker, a little behind the crowd, and he had a sad and surprised expression on his face. I tried to think of something to say but I was completely speechless so I just bit my lip. 

"What's wrong?" Chris asked. He didn't see Luke.

"Nothing." I said, shaking my head trying to get the memory out. We walked through the hall when I got an anonymous text. It said:

Wow! Kissing your new boyfriend in front of your old? Thats bitchy even for you!

God, I didn't know how Dylan was doing this anonymous text thing. but I'd have to talk to him about it later. 

For the rest of the day, Chris tried to talk to me but it went through a sort of haze. I answered him in only concise responses, and to be honest, forgot pretty much all of it a second later. Just, a lot of other questions were running through my head.

 Was Luke okay? 

Was I okay?

Was I not hurting enough?

Was I hurting Luke too much?

These swam around my head until I decided I needed to talk to someone about it. Specifically, Luke. I texted him at lunch, asking to meet, and he said we could after school. When Biology only had ten minutes left, I faked illness and my teacher excused me. Chris looked confused but I promised I'd text him and I waved goodbye.

Then I walked out to the lunch tables and chose a random bench. I searched around for only seconds before I saw Luke walk out of a classroom and over to me.