Not Over Yet

BLAKES POV:

As soon as the account opened, the money started pouring in. It began with just $5 and $20 here and there, but as word spread about how much and how soon we required it, people gave it all that they had. 

$1,000 raised by Emma and Eric. 

$250 given from friends of Kota.

$500 from her teachers and coach collectively.

Even more from Aubrey and Taylor, along with their parents.

Cash from Derek and the football team. 

Money raised by the soccer team.

Everywhere the boys turned at school there was some sort of booth or fundraiser calling on everyone to help.

The Friday before the payment was needed, we were all done with school and sitting together. 

I sat on the couch with Nick beside me, Dylan was in the kitchen, and Talen lay on the carpet in front of the TV. Some sports game was on, but I don't know that any of us were watching. Finally, I was done with the moping. It was time to step up and do my job the way that no one else could. 

I stood and clapped loudly, startling Nick and making Talen spin his head away from the screen. 

"DYLAN." I called, with enough force that he too walked in the room without question.

"What?" Nick asked, with a frown on his face that made him look younger than he was. God, I forgot these boys were basically still kids too. 

"I have decided that we are going to be celebrating tonight! We will order a pizza, watch an amazing movie, and dine on pizza in the living room." I declared.

Talen smiled and said "WE CAN EAT PIZZA AND HAVE SODA ON THE COUCH?" 

I nodded and said "That is correct. This once. But if you spill or get grease on the leather Talen Jacob Hastings you will not be allowed to eat out here for the rest of your existence."  

He nodded soberly and I laughed, making him smile again too.

"What are we celebrating?" Dylan asked. "We haven't reached our goal yet. We're not even at $20,000. And there is one day left." 

I chucked a pillow at his face faster than he could blink and it hit him square in the jaw. Nick and Talen laughed until he quieted them both with a glare. 

"We are celebrating the effort that we have put in altogether, and having each other to get us through this hard time. Like a football team, Team Hastings has fought with more strength and determination than we ever have before." I said. 

"If we're a football team, can I be the quarterback??" shouted Talen. I nodded to him and Dylan said "HEY!" I smiled at him and he blushed a little, remembering it was only a game. 

"Dylan you're offensive tackle and Nick you can be wide receiver." I announced. Dylan rolled his eyes but smiled and Nick pumped his fist in the air. 

"What are you?" asked Nick, with wide eyes.

"Clearly, I'm the kid that brings the water cups and shines the helmets." I said in a duh voice.

Nick and Talen laughed and Dylan smiled a little. I was glad to see them picking themselves up a bit, and I noticed it was only encouraging me more as well. 

"TEAM HUDDLE!" I yelled in my deepest voice. Talen and Nick ran to me and Dylan walked over, then we all leaned in. 

"In 2 minutes, I want to see our quarterback, offensive tackle, and wide receiver all buckled in their seats the car. Coach has gotta order the pizza." I said to their bowed heads.