The Wolves

The week flew by with me attempting to recover and juggle my friends, soccer, and school. But by the end of the week, it was worth it. 

I looked at the list of names of girls who got on and who didn't get on the team. 

DAKOTA HASTINGS

At the very top of the list was my name, in proud and bold lettering. Beneath it was Reilly, Kayla, and Sam, who had all made it as well. Inches below that were a couple girls who didn't make it. A pair of twins with dark hair named Marlet and Macie hadn't, but were set up to alternate in if anyone got injured, and a couple girls below that were completely dropped. I tried to respectfully nod to anyone who had tried out and not burst with my own exultation. Even though I knew I would be on the team, it was still rewarding and nice to see.

Coach James came out of his cave to thank everyone for participating in the tryouts and told those of us who made it that he would email us the details for our games and practices soon. Afterwards, he pulled me aside.

"Dakota, would you be willing to give your brother my cell phone number, for coaching purposes?" he asked in that lovely accent of his. 

"Of course." I said immediately, plugging his number into my own phone and setting a reminder to tell Dylan later.

"Also... I'm aware it might seem too forward, but would you ask him if he'd like to hang out sometime? I don't have many friends here and any company outside of my cramped apartment would be much appreciated."

I nodded with a reassuring smile. "I'll tell him." 

He thanked me gratefully and left to go back to his office. I hadn't even considered how lonely James must be right now... He had moved from really far away from here, or so the rumors had said. I checked my phone to double check the reminder would go off and I saw that the time was a little alter than I had planned to meet the others. 

I ran out into the cool air to meet Dylan, Chris, and their friends.

I paused a couple feet away. I saw Dylan. I saw Derrick. And Kyle. And this guy named Mason. But no Chris. 

"What's going on?" I asked Dylan as I got closer. 

He smiled and said "Chris had to leave early to pick up his little siblings from their child care but Mason here, offered us a ride." 

He nodded towards a tall buff looking guy with thick brown hair and an  innocent smile. 

"Okaaay." I said, pulling my backpack closer. "Then let's go."

"Okay." he agreed.

 I walked over to the passenger side out of habit but Dylan stood in front and crossed his arms.  

"Where do you think you're going, baby?" he asked. 

I rolled my eyes and moved to the backseat door where Derek stood. 

"Move." I said meanly, glaring at him. 

"Don't think I will." he said. They thought they were soooo funny. I again moved around him to the other side of the car where Kyle and Mason were now stationed, with their arms crossed as well. 

"Get in the car now." Dylan said in a threatening voice. 

"Please move." I begrudgingly asked Kyle.

Kyle said "I don't think so."

I went around to Derek again and just tried to shove him to the side. He just laughed and didn't even shift. 

"Dakota get in the car now." Dylan said again with a smile. 

"Better do what he says Dakota...." Derek said, with a wicked grin. It felt like The three pigs and the big bad wolf story, except there were 4 very strong and menacing wolves and one tiny pig handling it all alone.