The Dragon

The game started and I was on fire... not literally, thank god. But I was racing around the field and playing the way I should've from the start. I was assisting passes, shooting often, and knocking girls down. I was beginning to think I was unstoppable! Until I heard the loud 

CRUNCH!

I looked up and my mouth fell open. Some bitch had slide tackled me. And hit my ankle. 

Luckily, it didn't hurt. I was still in shock. The girl walked away smiling as the ref blew the whistle and raced over. 

Coach James ran over as well and grabbed my hands. He pulled me to my feet and I gingerly rested on one leg. The other one huuuuuurt. Dylan and Chris stood up from the side lines and looked terrified for me but I waved them off. No way was I letting a minor injury like this one keep me down. I tested my balance and found that I could sort of manage if I jogged lightly. 

James looked at me with caution and said "Are you sure you're alright?" in his adorable voice. I nodded and he hesitantly accepted it. I kept playing the entire game, and ended up scoring 2 goals, and helping my team take the lead and win the game. The second the ref blew the whistle that announced the game to be officially over, my team ran into a group hug! We had done it, and won our first game! Even if it was just for practice.

All of a sudden, Dylan ran out from the sidelines and picked me up, bridal style.

"Dylan!" I hissed, embarrassed by his random reaction. 

"You hurt your stupid ankle, Kota, no way am I letting you walk all the way home on that." he said, way too over protectively. 

"It's just to the bus!" I said, trying to wriggle free.

"I. Don't. Care." he answered firmly. 

My friends looked over at me only with concern for my foot but I was just embarrassed. 

"I'm fine! Really!" I said, trying to shield my face from the sun and the others. It was true, I had checked my foot earlier and it looked like it would just be badly bruised for a week or two. By far not the worst injury I had ever gotten playing soccer. This way I would still be able to walk I would just have to be a little gentle for a couple days, max.  

He shook his head and we started walking towards the bus. Well, he did. 

Then, I thought of a good compromise. "Can't Chris take me to the bus instead?" I whined, biting my lip and looking over at the gorgeous boy gathering our stuff and following behind us. 

He just laughed in a scoffing sort of manner. "What, so your prince charming can carry his princess to safety and kiss you all the way? I don't think so."

"If I'm the princess, and he's the prince... What does that make you? The dragon?" I teased, arching an eyebrow. 

"Yep. I'm the thing that murders the prince if he gets too close to you." He said, his blond hair falling in front of his eyes as we reached the doors of the bus. James began counting people off and then we were loaded into the car. I stretched my arm out in the direction I wanted to go, but for the second time this day, Dylan sat me next to him. I leaned agains the window and glared. 

"I am not sitting with my older brother the whole way back." I said harshly. 

"Yes you are." He said, crossing his arms over his chest. "I told Blake I'd watch you so I am!" 

He stuck his feet out in front of him, blocking any escape routes I had out. I sighed and leaned back, waving at Chris sadly as he walked by, and sat behind us.