The Wicked Truth

4. The Wicked Truth

I didn't get very far in walking away, because, a couple of steps later I'm being yanked around.

"I am not a curtain so I would appreciate it if you would-"

"Are you crazy!" Blue Eyes exclaims, causing me to take a step back. Just for precaution. "I told you that you shouldn't- he could've killed you!"

"Really?" I gasp, feigning shock, "Huh. I guess it's good he didn't isn't it." It wasn't a question because I didn't give him time to respond before my back was turned to him and I was leaving him in the dust.

For a while, all I did was walk around. I did my best to stay away from everyone. I had come to terms with the fact that I wasn't at my pack anymore and disturbing the peace will result in me getting killed. I ignored everyone. I didn't say hi back, I didn't stay when I was being approached and I didn't accept when I was being offered. I don't need any of these people. They don't know who I am and I prefer it that way. Being anonymous was a goal I wanted to achieve, and I will.

I was walking aimlessly through the forest for at least five minutes, along a stoned path. I saw it. It was pretty. So I followed it. There must be something worth seeing at the end of the path, and I wanted to know what it was. I've always been a curious person. I drag my feet slowly alone the grey rocks, staying on the path.

At the end of the pathway was a garden. It wasn't a small garden either, it was huge, and in the center of it stood a large fountain. As I walked, flowers appeared on both sides of the path, mostly roses but other than that, their were Lilies, Daffodils, Carnations, Amaryllis', Dahlias', Freesias, you name it, it was all here. Each type of flower was separated into their categories and colors, it was breathtaking. I know I was probably in the wrong part of the woods, the part that was most restricted to outsiders, and seeing as I'm the only person in this area, it's pretty obvious that I or anybody else isn't supposed to be here.

The thing is. I don't really care.

I've never felt this... at home, before. In my pack, they never had anything that caught my attention like this has. It's like I'm drawn here, and I don't feel like leaving.

I felt something crawling on my arm and looked down to see a black and red ladybug. I frowned and placed my finger in front of it, watching it crawl onto my finger hastily. I knelt down to the nearest rose and place my finger on one of the petals, allowing the small creature to crawl away.

I bet she has a wonderful life. Raiding pretty flowers all day with her pretty self. I let out a sigh, standing up and it's then that I saw it. The base of the fountain was surrounded by separate red and black roses. There was a weird feeling running through my body and I frowned. I started making my way over to the fountain. I had to touch them, I don't know why but I just had to. I was itching to.

"Hey! What are you doing here? This is a restricted area!" I hear someone shout from behind me but I was so close, and I felt the urge to touch them. It was a need or something.

I was a couple of steps away when I was hit in the back of my head and tackled to the ground. I let out a grunt as my face was smashed onto the rocks, feeling the hard and sharp edges dig into the side of my face, drawing blood.

"Rogue!" The guard holding me down shouts and a second later there were numerous footsteps pounding into the earth.
And all I could do was lay there, staring up at the roses, because at the time, that was my only motive, my only goal.

¿*?

"Sir we saw this rogue wandering your garden." The guard said, tightening his hands around my wrist.

"I didn't-" I start but get cut off by the guard pushing me down on my knees roughly, so that I was kneeling in front of Ace. I let out a strained breath, clenching my jaw, "I didn't know where I was going." I tell them. I've never had the need to explain myself before now and I was surprised by it. Most of the time if I'm caught in a forbidden place, I'd just say something snarky or sarcastic, take my beating and leave and I'm usually satisfied that they never get anything out of me.

Ace held up a hand, gesturing for the guards to leave the room. When there was only two breathing machines, he spoke, "Why were you in my garden?" He asks casually but demanding, his hands behind his back.

I fell back onto the floor lazily, sitting with my knees bent upward and my forearms on my them. I run a hand through my hair, "I told you I didn't know where I was going." I say, exasperated. All I wanted right now was sleep, a shower, and some food, but I don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon.

He took the small steps that it would take to take him toward me and knelt before me, staring into my eyes. I frowned when heat warmed my body from his closeness. He raises a hand to hold the side of my face. I jolted at his touch, feeling the unfamiliar tingles running from my face, down my neck and eventually taking over my body. It was only for a second or two before it was gone. It was a feeling that I craved to feel again.

"What did you just do?" I growl lowly at him.

He tilted his head to the side, his face blank, "You're my mate." He says in a matter-of-fact way.

Mate!?, Dakoda exclaims.

That's not possible. I don't have a mate. They said...

"But I don't want a mate."

Right then, there was a sharp sting in my chest and I jerked backward, away from him. Dakoda lets out a whimper, retreating to the back of my mind. I've never felt like I wanted to die in a very long time. I've always been used to disappointment and rejection. I've learned to cope with it and I was okay. When I was told I didn't have a mate, I accepted it because I thought that is was one less rejection to deal with. One less disappointment. So I guess this is what it means when they say, happiness doesn't last for very long.

"Hey. You alright?"

I blinked once, my eyes focusing on Blue Eyes as he stooped before me. When I saw his face, a grin slipped onto mine. I don't know why, but he just has this aura that causes me to smile.

"Yes." I say, trying to reassure us both.

"Come on." He says, jerking his head toward the exit. He stood up, taking my hands in his and pulling me up. Across the room, there was a low growl.

"Where are we going?" I ask, frowning.

"I'm going to show you your new room." He says, smiling at me.

"A room?" I ask. I've never had a room in ages.

"Yes, a room. Come on." He chuckles.

He started walking toward the exit. Before I turned to join him, I got a glance at Ace. He was standing with his back toward us, staring out onto the grounds of his pack through his floor to ceiling window.

"I don't want you either." I murmur, knowing he'd hear me. He did, and his body tensed, his hands balling at his sides.

Of course I was lying and of course I felt the same feeling in my chest like a knife stabbing at my heart. I knew, Dakoda knew, that somewhere in there, I would and will always want him, but I refuse to be broken over him.