I'm In Too Deep Now

43. I'm In Too Deep Now

  "Bam." Ace says dramatically as he perched a large bottle on the side of the truck.

  I looked over and laughed at the grin on his face, "Trying to get me drunk?" I teased.

  He hoists himself up over the side of the vehicle, landing in the back next to me and settling on top of the fluffy sheets and blankets.

  Our night took a drastic turn. I didn't think it would be better than how the night originally started off, but he proved me wrong.

  On our way we took some stops. He stopped at a store and came out with a bunch of blankets and even couple pillows and then he stopped again, coming back with two boxes of, what he said was pizza, all the while he ordered me to stay in the truck. I didn't​ do well with the order but I let him have it this time. I didn't want to spoil anything else.

  So now we were somewhere in the woods, his trucked parked at the edge of a cliff as we overlooked the twinkling lights of the city along with the twinkling lights of the stars. It was incredibly soothing and satisfying. It made me relax—want to enjoy the view and the quietness of the moment.

  "We can't get drunk," He says and I watched him as he opened the bottle of wine with a loud pop and holding it away from the sheets as the liquid bobbled over, "You can get a little buzzed for a minute or two if you drink enough without stopping," He says with a lopsided grin, "But me on the other hand, I don't. At all."

  "Do you wish you could?" I frowned.

  He shook his head, "Nah. I like being in control and alcohol wouldn't really help for a person like me." He shrugs.

  "A person like you?"

  He nods, "Yeah. It's easy for a regular werewolf to get angry—lose it for a bit—but if I lose it..." He trails off, shaking his head, "I, ah, forgot to get cups, so-" He cuts himself off, putting the bottle to his lips and tilting his head back and taking a huge gulp, "I guess this is gonna have to suffice."

  I grinned, reaching forward to get rid of the drop of liquid that pooled at the side of his mouth. He chuckled, ducking his head slightly and it was the first time I've ever seen him look remotely shy.

  "Ever had pizza before?" He asks, reaching forward and opening one of the boxes in front of us.

  I immediately look over and my mouth watered as the scent of cheese got stronger. I shook my head;no.

  I pretended to think, humming dramatically, "For most of my life I've only been fed bread and water, if I was lucky enough I'd get one of those bar things," I made a movement with my hands t o describe it, "That's made up of nuts or something. When I was older I got introduced to fruits, but that was around the time I met you. I found them in the woods." I smiled at him widely, but it faltered when I saw that he was staring at me, unamused.

  "How can you do that?" He asks.

  "Do what?" My smile was slowly dwindling down to nothing.

  "Smile like that while talking about... That. What they've done to you." He says softly.

  I looked down, "I'm not there anymore. I'm with you," I looked back up at him, "Isn't that enough to smile for?"

  His lips twitched, "Well I guess it's your lucky night, 'cause I have two different types of pizza," He reaches forward and opens the other one and my smile came back, "Choose which goodness you want to try first." He says with a grin.