Why Do You Care?

7. Why Do You Care?

I plucked a piece of pineapple from the large container. I throw it in the air before catching it in my mouth, chewing slowly.

There was a mini garden in the large backyard and I sat in the middle of it. Across from me was a small pool of water, and I watched in fascination as a pair of little ducklings waddled around in the water happily. I was at ease, as I watched the sun set behind the trees, casting a beautiful array of colors across the sky and shining against the pool of water.

I was surrounded by flowers and shrubs and everything was peaceful. It was nice. Nobody else has been out here and I had a feeling it's because I am, but I didn't mind.

I took another piece of fruit from the container, only this time, a strawberry. I was content, at ease. All I wanted now was a shower and some clean clothes.

I was never one to over think things. I usually just keep them left in the past. But I can't not think about the fact that I have a mate. Someone that should love me and cherish me. Keep me. Only for him not to want me. It wasn't hard to believe. I've had to deal with rejection a lot in my lifetime to the point where I'm used to it. And of course, like every other werewolf out there, I wondered what my mate would be like - even though I was told I didn't have one - , how it would sound when he said my name - if he'd say it with love and devotion just like I've heard every other man say their mate's name. If he'd look at me with that twinkle in his eyes. If he was so engrossed with me that he couldn't stop touching me.

Of course after a while I got used to the feeling of being alone, being unwanted, but it wasn't something I could push away after seeing it over and over again. I've come to the terms that I'm just not lovable. I can't be loved.

"You've been out here for a while. Why don't you come inside."

"Why do you care?" I mutter, knowing he could here me. I wasn't in the mood for his bipolar emotions. I just wanted to enjoy this sunset with my fruits and little ducklings.

"I don't." He responds. Softer than I thought he would.

"Then leave." I throw a slice of kiwi into the air, catching it on my tongue, watching the ducks flutter their wings, diving under the water before coming up and flashing the water at each other.

The next second my content bliss is being ripped away from me, as I was yanked up aggressively from the ground.

"Get off of me." I growl lowly, not meeting his eyes. I glare at his chest as I focus all my attention on keeping Dakoda calm.

"I'm sorry."

I froze. I completely froze. I stopped breathing all together, hoping he'll think I'm dead or something and leave. This is the last thing I want. For him to apologize. Apologizing meant making it up to me and that meant he wanted me. I didn't want him to want me. I wanted him to loath me just has he had hours ago. It's easier that way.

I refuse to give in to these emotions and be left alone in the end. Just like I always am. There's no doubt that he'll leave me in the end, so I guarantee there won't be a beginning.

"I'm sorry for the way I treated you. I know it's not right but I blame Jerome. My wolf. He gets ahead of himself and he doesn't really understand the concept of having a mate." He says and I somewhat understand. Dakoda hasn't said anything for a while now which means our wolves are completely different.

"I don't need an explanation." I try to take a step back, wanting to free myself from his touch. The closer I am to him, the stronger these mixed emotions become, making me what to make bold actions.